Background: The Sinhalese arrived in Sri Lanka late in the 6th century B.C., probably from northern India. Buddhism was introduced beginning in about the mid-third century B.C., and a great civilization developed at the cities of Anuradhapura (kingdom from circa 200 B.C. to circa A.D. 1000) and Polonnaruwa (from about 1070 to 1200). In the 14th century, a south Indian dynasty seized power in the north and established a Tamil kingdom. Occupied by the Portuguese in the 16th century and by the Dutch in the 17th century, the island was ceded to the British in 1796, became a crown colony in 1802, and was united under British rule by 1815. As Ceylon, it became independent in 1948; its name was changed to Sri Lanka in 1972. Tensions between the Sinhalese majority and Tamil separatists erupted into war in 1983. Tens of thousands have died in an ethnic conflict that continues to fester. After two decades of fighting, the government and Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam formalized a cease-fire in February 2002, with Norway brokering peace negotiations.
Blogs from Hikkaduwa
Latest Blogs from Hikkaduwa
- August 21st 2013 Heart of Lightness: Up the Madu River to Cinnamon Island
by Words: 900 Photos: 21
- March 3rd 2013 Stories, Strangers and Cheap Beer
by Words: 172 Photos: 3
- January 11th 2013 Back To The Beach
by Words: 1728 Photos: 15
- December 26th 2012 A Sri Lanka Surfing Comeback
by Words: 918 Photos: 16
- November 2nd 2012 Jamesons and rain
by Words: 3921 Photos: 0
- September 15th 2012 Sri Lanka trip - Sep 8-14 2012
by Words: 2601 Photos: 0
- April 30th 2012 Last Night in Paradise...
by Words: 1929 Photos: 15
- April 30th 2012 Love, Happiness, and Muay Thai...
by Words: 942 Photos: 14
- April 28th 2012 Pieces of Buddha....
by Words: 1326 Photos: 19
- April 26th 2012 They should call me Indy, not Dr. Jones...
by Words: 1993 Photos: 11
- March 28th 2012 Beach Weekend!
by Words: 868 Photos: 18
- August 7th 2010 Snorkelling in Hikkaduwa and trip to mines
by Words: 419 Photos: 0
- August 6th 2010 Toddy Tapping and off to Hikkaduwa
by Words: 449 Photos: 0
- February 23rd 2010 Hungover!
by Words: 122 Photos: 0
- February 13th 2010 Little piece of paradise
by Words: 222 Photos: 0
- April 24th 2009 10 Days in Sri Lanka
by Words: 2397 Photos: 13
- April 13th 2009 Hit the Road and don't stop til you reach the beach!
by Words: 507 Photos: 3
- April 13th 2009 Safari's and Turtles
by Words: 496 Photos: 3
- March 25th 2009 Hikkaduwa
by Words: 127 Photos: 0
- November 20th 2008 Mongooses and Acordions
by Words: 1249 Photos: 15