Background: Korea was an independent kingdom under Chinese suzerainty for most of the past millennium. Following its victory in the Russo-Japanese War in 1905, Japan occupied Korea; five years later it formally annexed the entire peninsula. After World War II, a republic was set up in the southern half of the Korean Peninsula while a Communist-style government was installed in the north. During the Korean War (1950-53), US and other UN forces intervened to defend South Korea from North Korean attacks supported by the Chinese. An armistice was signed in 1953, splitting the peninsula along a demilitarized zone at about the 38th parallel. Thereafter, South Korea achieved rapid economic growth with per capita income rising to roughly 14 times the level of North Korea. In 1987, South Korean voters elected ROH Tae-woo to the presidency, ending 26 years of military dictatorships. South Korea today is a fully functioning modern democracy. In June 2000, a historic first North-South summit took place between the South's President KIM Tae-chung and the North's leader KIM Jong Il.
Photos from Taejon
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Taejon
Latest Blogs from Taejon
- February 27th 2012 The buses are leaving!
by Words: 145 Photos: 0
- February 25th 2012 Running Around
by Words: 647 Photos: 2
- February 22nd 2012 It's six o'clock in the morning...
by Words: 231 Photos: 0
- February 21st 2012 First Day... sort of
by Words: 1174 Photos: 0
- June 23rd 2011 one big room. full of bad bitches.
by Words: 953 Photos: 4
- June 12th 2011 thoughts from a trucker hat.
by Words: 623 Photos: 3
- November 12th 2009 A Shaman's Apartment in Daejeon
by Words: 1443 Photos: 20
- October 25th 2009 International Balloon Fiesta
by Words: 991 Photos: 25
- October 23rd 2009 Performance in the Park
by Words: 431 Photos: 15
- October 17th 2009 Zooland
by Words: 541 Photos: 28
- October 17th 2009 Six to Five
by Words: 107 Photos: 2
- October 15th 2009 Autumn in my Heart
by Words: 205 Photos: 2
- October 12th 2009 Gubongsan
by Words: 380 Photos: 18
- October 11th 2009 Mt Gubongsan and Relaxation
by Words: 833 Photos: 6
- September 30th 2009 Autumn Night
by Words: 474 Photos: 0
- September 29th 2009 What have I been up to?
by Words: 615 Photos: 0
- September 29th 2009 Chuseok
by Words: 266 Photos: 2
- September 27th 2009 Daejeon National Cemetery
by Words: 617 Photos: 18
- September 20th 2009 Bomunsan Mountain
by Words: 656 Photos: 7
- September 20th 2009 National Science Museum
by Words: 677 Photos: 30