Background: In 1603, a Tokugawa shogunate (military dictatorship) ushered in a long period of isolation from foreign influence in order to secure its power. For 250 years this policy enabled Japan to enjoy stability and a flowering of its indigenous culture. Following the Treaty of Kanagawa with the United States in 1854, Japan opened its ports and began to intensively modernize and industrialize. During the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Japan became a regional power that was able to defeat the forces of both China and Russia. It occupied Korea, Formosa (Taiwan), and southern Sakhalin Island. In 1933 Japan occupied Manchuria and in 1937 it launched a full-scale invasion of China. Japan attacked US forces in 1941 - triggering America's entry into World War II - and soon occupied much of East and Southeast Asia. After its defeat in World War II, Japan recovered to become an economic power and a staunch ally of the US. While the emperor retains his throne as a symbol of national unity, actual power rests in networks of powerful politicians, bureaucrats, and business executives. The economy experienced a major slowdown starting in the 1990s following three decades of unprecedented growth, but Japan still remains a major economic power, both in Asia and globally. In 2005, Japan began a two-year term as a non-permanent member of the UN Security Council.
Photos from Shiga
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Shiga
Latest Blogs from Shiga
- September 25th 2013 A Castle on a Hill
by Words: 1251 Photos: 28
- September 28th 2011 FruitsPunchoSamurai: Made in Sweden
by Words: 858 Photos: 0
- September 24th 2011 FruitsPunchoSamurai
by Words: 432 Photos: 0
- September 12th 2011 FruitsPunchoSamurai: Miscellaneous
by Words: 177 Photos: 3
- March 11th 2009 Leaving it all behind
by Words: 1121 Photos: 0
- February 2nd 2009 Oh My God! Kyoto Sensei is in my House! XD
by Words: 543 Photos: 21
- January 10th 2009 Self Imposed Exile: Turning My Back On Summer
by Words: 499 Photos: 14
- December 15th 2008 Thoughts of Home and Summer Cravings!
by Words: 515 Photos: 8
- November 16th 2008 Hip Hop Japan - performing!
by Words: 325 Photos: 46
- October 23rd 2008 Traditional Delights of the Otsu Matsuri
by Words: 657 Photos: 13
- September 30th 2008 Back to work blues
by Words: 666 Photos: 0
- September 28th 2008 Half a year away, and half a lifetime lived
by Words: 1274 Photos: 0
- August 19th 2008 Millions of Peaches...
by Words: 409 Photos: 10
- August 16th 2008 Ninja Village
by Words: 164 Photos: 16
- July 26th 2008 Hi Matsuri- Shigaraki (Fire Festival)
by Words: 565 Photos: 42
- July 19th 2008 Nikky's Birthday - the saga continues
by Words: 1155 Photos: 27
- July 14th 2008 A slice of time
by Words: 1142 Photos: 5
- July 6th 2008 Fire Festival!!!.....preparation.
by Words: 554 Photos: 30
- June 27th 2008 5 hours of Japanese and a Sore Bum
by Words: 708 Photos: 1
- June 23rd 2008 Fabulous Animal. Realms Imagination!
by Words: 776 Photos: 6