Background: The Indus Valley civilization, one of the oldest in the world, dates back at least 5,000 years. Aryan tribes from the northwest invaded about 1500 B.C.; their merger with the earlier Dravidian inhabitants created the classical Indian culture. Arab incursions starting in the 8th century and Turkish in the 12th were followed by those of European traders, beginning in the late 15th century. By the 19th century, Britain had assumed political control of virtually all Indian lands. Indian armed forces in the British army played a vital role in both World Wars. Nonviolent resistance to British colonialism led by Mohandas GANDHI and Jawaharlal NEHRU brought independence in 1947. The subcontinent was divided into the secular state of India and the smaller Muslim state of Pakistan. A third war between the two countries in 1971 resulted in East Pakistan becoming the separate nation of Bangladesh. Despite impressive gains in economic investment and output, India faces pressing problems such as the ongoing dispute with Pakistan over Kashmir, massive overpopulation, environmental degradation, extensive poverty, and ethnic and religious strife.
Blogs from Colva
Latest Blogs from Colva
- May 25th 2012 India - Delhi, Agra, Jaipur, Mumbai, Goa
by Words: 3566 Photos: 48
- December 28th 2011 Goa
by Words: 128 Photos: 16
- August 3rd 2011 Gorgeous Goa!
by Words: 325 Photos: 2
- January 28th 2010 Crappy Colva
by Words: 479 Photos: 3
- December 18th 2009 Day 2 : Panji to Assolna
by Words: 587 Photos: 11
- December 10th 2009 die sache mit der indischen post
by Words: 826 Photos: 0
- November 20th 2009 und sie ist weg.....weg
by Words: 568 Photos: 0
- November 18th 2009 Back by popular demand...
by Words: 1308 Photos: 0
- November 7th 2009 Lovely Goa
by Words: 484 Photos: 8
- November 6th 2009 ganz normaler camp wahnsinn ;)
by Words: 506 Photos: 0
- October 27th 2009 Ankunft im Camp
by Words: 273 Photos: 6
- October 25th 2009 The Inevitableness of Goodbye
by Words: 582 Photos: 10
- October 20th 2009 Relaxing Goa
by Words: 66 Photos: 7
- October 18th 2009 UPGRADE! or Housepoor and lovin' it
by Words: 557 Photos: 4
- March 9th 2009 Life's a beach...
by Words: 126 Photos: 0
- March 7th 2009 Mumbai and Colva beach
by Words: 581 Photos: 3
- March 6th 2009 If you can't stand the heat...get the hell outta Panjim!
by Words: 347 Photos: 0
- February 4th 2009 Blog India tourist
by Words: 2879 Photos: 0
- November 8th 2008 The Russians are coming!!
by Words: 1083 Photos: 23
- October 26th 2008 Going Slower In Goa
by Words: 618 Photos: 21