Welcome to the Travel Forums

Why join TravelBlog?

  • Membership is Free and Easy
  • Your travel questions answered in minutes!
  • Become part of the friendliest online travel community.
Join Now! Join TravelBlog* today and meet thousands of friendly travelers. Don't wait! Join today and make your adventures even more enjoyable.

* Blogging is not required to participate in the forums

Working Holida visa --Canada

Anyone joined Working Holida visa --Canada ?
13 years ago, May 22nd 2010 No: 1 Msg: #111519  
B Posts: 32
Hi, My name is Gary mc, I am from Hong Kong and going to Canada next month with Working Holida visa (WHV)

I want to make frds with those joined WHV to Canada

And I have a few questions as below ....

Do I have to produce the proof of insurance to the customs in order to get the work permit at the port of entry ?

Is It difficult to get a job in Toronto , Newmarket, and Markham ?

Thanks for any kind information.


Gary MC Reply to this

13 years ago, May 23rd 2010 No: 2 Msg: #111553  
I entered on the WHP, i didn't have to show proof of insurance, just the proof of $4000 cad. Reply to this

13 years ago, May 23rd 2010 No: 3 Msg: #111564  
B Posts: 32
for the 4000 CAD, can it be in terms of cash ? or a bank statement only ?

Reply to this

13 years ago, May 23rd 2010 No: 4 Msg: #111585  
B Posts: 32
when did u collect your work permit ? got it at the point of entry ? or later after entry ?

Thanks for your help. Reply to this

13 years ago, May 23rd 2010 No: 5 Msg: #111598  
It was the most simplest process you will have to do. You get the work permit after they do the paper work. They only need to see proof of the $4000 cad either on a printed bank statement or in cash. You hand them the "WHP ELECTRONIC LETTER OF INTRODUCTION" which you should have recieved already from your embassy after paying your fee. I entered via land from the USA. They of course check your Passport and do there thing while you wait. I was in the country within 15 minutes of arriving at the border. Going Via air i am sure its the same process, just show them the letter at customs and they will do there thing.

The letter states
"Express Service: If you are entering Canada through Vancouver International Airport, please keep this letter visible and proceed directly to the Immigration Corridor in the Voluntary Compliance Area. This service is currently only available at Vancouver International Airport. Ask airport staff should you need help. " Reply to this

13 years ago, May 24th 2010 No: 6 Msg: #111619  
B Posts: 32
thanks a lot ! Reply to this

13 years ago, May 24th 2010 No: 7 Msg: #111620  
B Posts: 32
From USA, you enter Toronto first or Vancouver first ? Reply to this

13 years ago, May 24th 2010 No: 8 Msg: #111623  
I entered on Highway 97, which is about 3 hours east of Vancouver Reply to this

13 years ago, May 24th 2010 No: 9 Msg: #111624  
B Posts: 32
I will enter Canada through Toronto

Reply to this

13 years ago, May 24th 2010 No: 10 Msg: #111661  
To be covered by insurance, you will need to purchase travel insurance before you leave. It states that you need to be covered for Insurance to enter on the WHP but they never checked mine. Health insurance was more expensive for me to purchase in Canada then back home. I would definitely buy travel Insurance before you leave as it usually is cheaper.
I bought basic travel insurance to cover me if i travelled, that way if any of my luggage got lost during my time in Canada, then it was covered. You don't get that with normal health insurance. Then i am also covered by dental and medical as well in case any accidents happen. Reply to this

13 years ago, May 24th 2010 No: 11 Msg: #111662  
B Posts: 32
what about the insurance which covers you at work under whv ?

the employer in canada will buy insurance for you ?

personally, i will buy medical insurance ( 1 year ) , accident insurance ( 1 year ) and travel insurance ( a few days) for my WHP. Reply to this

13 years ago, May 25th 2010 No: 12 Msg: #111694  
What do you need to be covered by insurance for at work? Reply to this

13 years ago, May 25th 2010 No: 13 Msg: #111699  
B Posts: 32
In Hong Kong, it is hard to find a suitable insurance plan for covering WHP at work.

That's why I want to ask where I can buy insurance for that purpose.

The one I want to know or I want to buy is the insurance that covers accidents at work, if any ( touchwood) Reply to this

13 years ago, June 8th 2010 No: 14 Msg: #112739  
B Posts: 32
is it easy to get a job offer in Canada?

Any recommendation? Reply to this

13 years ago, June 9th 2010 No: 15 Msg: #112768  
You have to be willing to do jobs that you might not like. At the moment there is a lot of people looking for work. Reply to this

13 years ago, June 9th 2010 No: 16 Msg: #112769  
if you work for a legitimate employer, then you will be covered by the federal WorkCover system if you have a work-related accident. you should purchase travel insurance to last a few months into your stay in Canada, as if you have a non work-related injury it is very expensive to visit a hospital in North america. After that, you may be eligible to apply for the provincial health services plan (in British Columbia it is called the BC Health Plan, or Medical Services Plan (MSP) ) which is significantly cheaper than travel insurance. However if you are only planning to work here temporarily, just stick with the travel insurance for the whole time, and make sure it covers comprehensive medical insurance.

as for how easy it is to get a job offer in Canada, how long is a piece of string... it all depends on what sort of jobs you are looking for, how fussy you are, and what qualifications you have. It took me 3 months to get a job as an architect, and before that I was working as a dishwasher and data entry clerk earning minimum wage. Reply to this

13 years ago, June 9th 2010 No: 17 Msg: #112807  
B Posts: 32
in fact, i have bought medical insurance ( 1 year) and accident insurance ( 1 year, cover non-work accident, touchwoord) in my country. Is it really needed to buy a travel insurance for a few months ? cos I just want to buy 1 months of Travel insurance to cover my baggage at the beginning.
frankly , i dont mind working as a housekeeping staff or waiter.
i will stay in Toronto first , i hope i can work there for a half year, after than I want to go to Montreal for visit

Could you guys please tell me more about your situation and experience ?

thanks a lot again

Reply to this

13 years ago, June 9th 2010 No: 18 Msg: #112808  
B Posts: 32
Moreover, have u guys ever tried WWOOF in Canada ?
as I know, there is no salary for the job from WWOOF in Canada, participants only get accommodations and food there.

I think it is not of my first priority.

Reply to this

13 years ago, June 9th 2010 No: 19 Msg: #112812  
oh sorry, you are right, you don't need to buy travel insurance if you've already got the medical insurance covered. be sure to read the fine print though and make sure it covers your exact specific situation (unless you've already done so of course).

Well it seems like you're not very fussy about working in hospitality or tourism, those are the industries you will most likely get work in. I would highly recommend NOT going through an agency like WWOOF or Global Travel and Co etc, the reason being that you will get a more authentic experience of Canada by finding your own work and meeting real Canadians (as opposed to other travelers, which whilst fun, may not be what you're looking for). There are plenty of job sites on the internet, and many hospitality places still accept walk-in applications. Also, if there is no salary, don't even bother - otherwise you won't have an income and you still need to pay for things like going out and sightseeing etc.

I've been in Vancouver for almost a year with my partner, so I can't really say much about the east coast situation as I have no idea - maybe if you have some more specific questions I can answer them? Reply to this

13 years ago, June 9th 2010 No: 20 Msg: #112819  
B Posts: 32
Well , I have some questions at this moment.

First, is it easy to get a job in Fast food restaurant or Coffee shop ?? <--- are those jobs paid with minimum wage only ? As I heard from others staying in Ireland by Working holiday visa, they can work in Burger King to earn around 2300 CAD equivalent per month ( part time ), is it possible to earn such an ideal income in Canada ( to you, Vancouver) ?

Second, are there any useful employment agency that can help Working Holiday Visa participants to get a job there?

Third, besides getting a SIN card , what documents will I have to apply for it at the beginning of my stay in Canada ?

Thanks for all help from you guys !
Reply to this

Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 11; dbt: 0.0149s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1006.9kb