Welcome to the Travel Forums

Why join TravelBlog?

  • Membership is Free and Easy
  • Your travel questions answered in minutes!
  • Become part of the friendliest online travel community.
Join Now! Join TravelBlog* today and meet thousands of friendly travelers. Don't wait! Join today and make your adventures even more enjoyable.

* Blogging is not required to participate in the forums

Working Holida visa --Canada

Anyone joined Working Holida visa --Canada ?
9 years ago, June 10th 2010 No: 21 Msg: #112839  
I don't think you will earn that much per month part time, that would be more full time work. Minimum wage is 8 to 10 depending on which province.

I don't think you would need an employment agency. Read newspapers, online websites like Craigslist and even walking in and asking for applications and dropping in your resume will get you a job if you are right for the position.

Maybe drivers license, bank account Reply to this

9 years ago, June 10th 2010 No: 22 Msg: #112842  
B Posts: 32
Do you guys bring your own original academic certificate/ working reference letter there?

I am considering if original / copies are required.

I have an International driving license ( valid for 1 year, applied in my country)

thanks Reply to this

9 years ago, June 10th 2010 No: 23 Msg: #112905  
I brought my originals with me. I guess if need be, you can always get them sent over at a later stage if you need them. Should only take a couple of weeks. Reply to this

9 years ago, June 11th 2010 No: 24 Msg: #112990  
B Posts: 32
what about paying tax there?

Do I have to pay income tax ( can I get back the tax paid at the end of the trip) ? Reply to this

9 years ago, June 11th 2010 No: 25 Msg: #112996  
minimum wage in BC is about $8/hour, minimum wage in Toronto is $10.50/hour so you should be getting at least that in a fast food restaurant or coffee shop. However, your income may be higher if you get tips - usually servers get the most tips, and busboys/dishwashers get the smallest % of tips. It's pretty easy to get a job in hospitality or food&beverage, you just need to tailor your resume appropriately (so if you have a PhD don't put that on there etc...)

there's plenty of job search engines, just google "canada job search" and you'll find plenty. craigslist also has a lot of jobs that are suited to people like you. There are a lot of employment agencies for office-related jobs, but generally females have a much higher chance of getting these jobs than males.

No, you just need a Social Identification Number and the approved visa to work in Canada. setting up a bank account and getting a prepaid cell phone (Fido is the only company i found that allows you to get a prepaid number without a credit rating) would also help the job hunting process. Use the local libraries for free internet to apply for jobs online.

Don't stress too much, job hunting is basically the same in Canada as it is in Hong Kong and everywhere else in the world - don't give up, persevere for that ideal job, have lower standards to start off with and keep searching for work, have a perfect resume (no spelling mistakes, correct grammar etc - also do not put a photograph of yourself in the resume, they don't like it here), always ALWAYS have a cover letter for each application that answers all the criteria in the job advertisement. it will be depressing at first but just give yourself a few weeks and you'll be fine. Reply to this

9 years ago, June 11th 2010 No: 26 Msg: #112997  
That depends on how much you earn for the year. Your employee will deduct it from your wages each pay week. You will be taxed on anything over 10 000 (approx) that you earn for the financial year. You may have to check if your country has a tax treaty with Canada. Reply to this

9 years ago, June 11th 2010 No: 27 Msg: #112998  
you absolutely have to pay income tax, you are a temporary resident in Canada and use the roads and infrastructure etc so unfortunately there's no getting out of that. sorry i didn't realize the replies above, I basically said the same thing, oops!

also if you're planning on working in hospitality or f&b, they couldn't care less about academic qualifications. as long as you finished high school. what I did was just scan any reference letters and other appropriate documents (like responsible service of alcohol certificate) and e-mailed it to myself, then just printed it off in Canada when I needed them. Reply to this

9 years ago, June 12th 2010 No: 28 Msg: #113016  
B Posts: 32
thanks for the answers above.
Another question is : do I have to speak native english ( or very fluent english ) at work? As I grow up in Hong Kong, my english-speaking is not really that fluent. But I think I can still communicate with others.

To "herewego":

For getting the working permit at the port of entry in canada , did you have to show your insurance certificate to the customs in order to get the work permit ? is the work permit just a chop on your passport ? Can you tell me the procedures about your first entry ? Where did you come from ? Which airport did you enter ?

Reply to this

9 years ago, June 12th 2010 No: 29 Msg: #113020  
well it depends what sort of job you get, if you have to deal with people a lot, then a reasonable command of the english language is necessary. in my job as an architect, i have to deal with clients and other staff members so fluency of english is required. when i worked as a bus boy at the local ice skating rink, i just had to know what the difference between clean and dirty was.

i went through the land border between washington state in the US and Vancouver, so I didn't have to deal with airports. the immigration officer was actually very relaxed and I didn't have to show her insurance or even proof of $4k income. the work permit is a piece of certified paper that they will staple into your passport. they just asked us a couple of questions and we were in. However the airport, i've heard, is much stricter and may ask you a lot more questions.

If you're coming here legitimately (i.e not trying to do something illegal whilst you're here!) you really shouldn't be too stressed out about it all. thousands of people do this every year in Canada alone, so the process is quite straightforward now. Reply to this

9 years ago, June 12th 2010 No: 30 Msg: #113057  
B Posts: 32
where can I use printer there??

any charge ??

wt about scanner? Reply to this

9 years ago, June 12th 2010 No: 31 Msg: #113065  
6 cents an A4 sheet at a place called staples. Scans i'm sure they do too. Reply to this

9 years ago, June 14th 2010 No: 32 Msg: #113208  
B Posts: 32
is it easy to apply for a credit card in canada?

i mean as a working holiday visa holder
Reply to this

9 years ago, June 14th 2010 No: 33 Msg: #113226  
no, it's not. Without a credit rating, the only thing you can do is put down a $1000 deposit with a major Canadian bank, and this amount is your limit for a credit card account. Reply to this

9 years ago, June 19th 2010 No: 34 Msg: #113608  
B Posts: 32
did u guys have tax clearance before you leave Canada after 1 year ?

As i heard, we may do so. is it real ?

is it easy to file ?

how long does it take to get back the tax paid ?
Reply to this

9 years ago, June 19th 2010 No: 35 Msg: #113624  
i'm confused what you're asking, as I said before if you live and work in Canada you use the roads and infrastructure and the public services, so you pay income tax to the government which you don't get back when you leave (can you imagine, that would be great!). Income tax returns are fairly easy to file, if you have problems you can just get an accountant from H&R Block which costs less than $100 I believe. It took about 6 weeks to get my tax return.

I think you are getting income tax confused with duty free products. If you are traveling and you buy a product, you are sometimes able to claim back the tax you paid for the product, either at an airport or at the shop directly. Reply to this

9 years ago, June 19th 2010 No: 36 Msg: #113625  
B Posts: 32
thanks , i got u Reply to this

9 years ago, June 25th 2010 No: 37 Msg: #114070  
B Posts: 32
is it easy to get a full time job ?
what about the layout and content of your CV ?
is it very important for job hunting ?
you found a job by internet or walk-in /drop in ?

thanks alot

i am in newmarket ,toronto now
Reply to this

9 years ago, June 25th 2010 No: 38 Msg: #114073  
B Posts: 32
may i have ur guys msn ? Reply to this

9 years ago, July 6th 2010 No: 39 Msg: #115016  
B Posts: 32
are you guys still in Canada?
i am in Canada now Reply to this

9 years ago, July 6th 2010 No: 40 Msg: #115017  
B Posts: 32
when u leave canada, will you guys file the tax and apply for any refund ? Reply to this

Tot: 1.303s; Tpl: 0.043s; cc: 2; qc: 85; dbt: 0.2675s; 1; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 2; ; mem: 1.4mb