Quito


Advertisement
South America
July 25th 2014
Published: July 31st 2014
Edit Blog Post

Our Arrival

We caught the bus from Otavalo which dropped us at the Terminal Carcelen North of the City at 11:20am.

To get into town first we caught a bus to La Ya trole stop. The bus left from the bus terminal (on the left hand side as you enter the terminal) and is clearly signed. It cost 25 cents payable to the conductor as you board. You received a ticket which you give back when you exit the bus. We caught the bus at 11:30am and arrived at La Ya trole stop at 11:55am.

On the other side of the same platform is the trole stop. This is the very first stop on the line which is the terminal (confusingly 1 stop further than the La Ya stop if you are heading in the other direction). When we arrived there was a big queue however after a short wait 5 buses came at once! The buses have signs saying 'El Recreo' on the front. There is no charge as you don't leave the terminal where the other bus drops you off. We got on the trole bus at 12:10pm.

We were hoping to stay at the Hostal Belmont which is near the old part of town so wanted to get off at the Hermano Miguel stop which according to the map was the one after the Banco Centro. Unfortunately after the Banco Centro stop the track split and didn't stop at Hermano Miguel. We got off at a further stop and walked back. Luckily the stops aren't too far apart. If you are heading to the same area from the North get off at Banco Central as it is pretty close to the hostal. If coming from the South the trole will stop at Hermano Miguel.

From the trole stop you need to cross over Pichincha Avenue and turn down Calle Antepara. The hostel is on the right hand side only a few mins walk from the stop.



Where We Stayed

Hostal Belmont - Calle Antepara E3-78 and Vicente Leon. $14 for a double room with or without bathroom. We had one with a private bathroom which was a fine size and had hot water with internet working in the room. There is a small kitchen and roof terrace. No alcohol is allowed.



What We Did

Visited and climbed La Basilica - $2 to climb the towers, desk is to the left as you go in the front entrance. If you just want to go in the church entrance is around to the right and is $1. We opted to climb. From the 1st floor you get a nice view of the inside of the church. From the 2nd floor you walk across a bridge and up some steep stairs/ladders into the tower for City views.

Went to La Mariscal tourist district - we walked there and back from the old town stopping at the parks along the way. La Mariscal is a very touristy area with lots of travel agents and tourist bars and restaurants particually around Plaza El Quinde (Plaza Foch).

Walked around the old town.



Where We Ate

You can get a set lunch for around $1.75-$2.

People sell creamy ice creams on sticks around the town and parks for 25 cents. They are pretty tasty.



About Quito

When we went during the day it was sunny and dry. It got chilly in the evenings.

There is a tourist information centre on Plaza Grande on Espejo and Venezuela.

The trole bus system is easy to use and cost 25 cents. It is quite busy so you need to leave plenty of time to fight your way off with backpacks, try and stay near the door. The signs on the stations are hard to read, its easier to read the sign on the station on the other side as you pass it.

In our opinion it was enough to spend just one night in Quito.



Where We Went Next

We went to Riobamba. Buses there left from the Quitumbe terminal South of the City. We caught a C4 trole bus to Quitumbe from Banco Central stop at 9:30am. It cost 25 cents payable as you enter the station. Quitumbe terminal is the last stop and we arrived at 10:10am. The terminal is large and new and has a tourist info office. Tickets to Riobamba were being sold from ticket window 1 and cost $4. There wasn't an available bus until 11am.

At the ticket window you get 2 tickets, one for the bus and one to get out to the platforms. The platforms are quite confusing however there is a map showing where each company stops. Once on the platforms you have a nice view of a snowy mountain.

Our bus to Riobabma left from platform 29, the Company was Patria. It left at 11am and wound its way past several snowy mountains along the way and arrived in Riobamba at 2:25pm.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.281s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0585s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb