The end of the first leg....


Advertisement
South America
July 19th 2011
Published: July 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

So I promised some more explanation of our last month in a different blog,
Basically the last couple of weeks were spent in transit just trying to get to the Colombian coast. We arrived in Cartagena after passing through many cool places we would have loved to have stopped in, but the things you sacrifice for beach hey?
When we arrived in Cartagena the heat hit us like a brick wall, so we sweated our way through the first day trying to find the nice beaches, but to no avail! The only nice beaches in Cartagena are a boat ride away, which we were going to do, but the weather didn´t permit, so we just drank by the pool in the hostel instead!!
We then went to a small beach town called Taganga 4 hours away, where we took a fishing, snorkeling tour, which was a great day out, I only managed to throw the line in maybe 4 times before I got sea sick (thanks Dad), but Troy was in his element and had a great day out with the guides catching all sorts of fish, while we snorkeled and swam for the afternoon.
From here we went to the Tyrona national park, where you hike through rain forests and along beaches for 2 hours to arrive at a beautiful Caribbean beach and sleep in Hammocks.
It was a nice end to our trip.
Following we took our last 21hour bus ride to Bogota where we are now, getting ready to fly to L.A tomorrow morning.

Since it´s our last day I thought I would do a little reminiscing of the things that we will and wont miss about South America from the past 5 months....

We WON´T miss:
- stray dogs wanting food (then being fussy and not taking the food you give them)
- stray people wanting food, money, or anything you have
- people trying to sell you things
- not flushing toilet paper down the toilet, putting it in the bin instead!!
- people robbing us
- not understanding directions, menu´s, well pretty much everything
- no Vegemite
- groups of complaining Isrealy´s!!
- long bus rides
- getting ripped off
- people trying to sell us drugs... everywhere!! (Troy´s hair attracts them I think!)
- Not having rice, chips and fried chicken for every second meal
- paying to use the toilets, when they are disgusting anyway
- being told a bus ride is 20hrs when in fact it´s 23hrs
- being at or above 2000m altitude
- busking Argentinians

We WILL miss:
- cute stray dogs (that actually eat the food you give them)
- incredible scenery, especially the mountains (like that isn´t enough!)
- complimentary bread and nuts (Argentina and Chile mainly)
- Empanadas (similar to meat pies, but with a kind of deep fried pastry...delicious!)
- trying to speak Spanish
- cheap food and drinks
- llama and alpaca clothes
- cute kids
- not doing one of the greatest things in the world each month!!(eg largest salt flats in the world, deepest canyon in the world etc.)
- Argentinian wine and steak (already missing it)
- Not having rice, chips and fried chicken for every second meal
- being at or above 2000m altitude
- all the deserts and pastries
- friendly people despite the language barrier


But to be honest the list could go on forever, and the things we wont miss are things that have really made the trip different, and great. So it´s onto the next leg of the journey, which is really hard to believe, but equally as exciting.
Photos will come... our SD card adapter was stolen, so I can´t get any photos off my camera!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb