More Arequipa


Advertisement
South America
May 20th 2009
Published: May 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

(B)
We returned from our colca canyon tour to spend a final day in Arequipa and relax before heading onward to Cusco for some spectacular Inca ruins action. We did not consider however that we are in Peru which means do not pass GO , and true to form there are road blockades due to protests so we have to wait for Cusco. Not a problem, there are mansions and frozen ice princesses to be seen in Arequipa and endless choices of soup so quite happy to stay another day.

We headed to the university Museum to check out the story of Juanita, a frozen inca princess discovered on the summit of Ampato by an American explorer. She was sacrificed to appease the mountain Gods over 500 years ago, at the age of 12 or 13. Chosen as a toddler for her beauty and innocence she would have been prepared for her fate throughout her life and would have gone to her death willingly believing she would be with the Gods forever. The Incas were master climbers and would have escorted her to the summit over several days during which she would have drank lots of Chicha (local drink) and coca.In the final ceremony, she died from a blow to the head and subsequent exposure and exhaustion. Juanita was buried in an upright sitting position as were several other child sacrifices that have been discovered. When nearby volcanoes erupted a few years ago, the snows on the summit of Ampato melted and Juanitas body tumbled down the mountain and was discovered.
We were allowed to view the body which is not a Mummy but still in a frozen state. All her features are perfect and her clothes have been carefully restored, it was really fascinating.
The colonial Mansions in Arequipa are also well worth seeing, the art collections are quite incredible. We have visited Casa del Moral which has a 200 year old mulberry tree in the garden and priceless furniture and art. The art has a lot of hidden signatures and symbols so we passed a pleasant morning trying to find them. We are also lucky enough to be here during a music festival and last night went to a free concert celebrating the 70th anniversary of the Arequipa symphonic, in the candle lit San Ignacio chapel.
Im all cultured out now, so we will spend our last day reading and inernet-ing. Havent had a drink or a cig for ages to prepare for trekking to Macchu Pichu we will be passing 4800 metres and even walking 50m at that height is tough. Getting nervous now as the passes we will climb are higher than the inca trail and thats supposed to be quite hard work. So no wine with dinner till its done and then we are going to get royally hammered on Pisco and mojitos when we get to Copacabana on Lake Titicaca. Bring it on.
So, hopefully protests are done tonight and we can journey on to the next chapter in Cusco...on our trek in Colca Canyon our guide showed me a ritual using coca leaves to ask the moutains and the volcano for safe passage so hopefully update soon!



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0389s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb