Hanging in our hood...


Advertisement
South America
April 12th 2009
Published: April 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Thought I'd tell a little more about Buenos Aires and what we've been doing in the city...did I mention how huge it is? With the help of a good map we are getting pretty good at figuring what direction we are going and what barrio we are in. We even braved a few subway rides! They are not as organized as other city's but when the traffic is bad, which is most of the time, it's faster than a taxi.

The weather has been beautiful...75 to 80 - but not as humid as March was - even though it is their Fall (Oct) now.

The other night we went to a cute small neigborhood restaurant and towards the end of our meal the waiter told us to stay awhile because the tango dancers would be starting soon. It was a random surprise and nice way to end the evening. A young sexy couple danced for awhile and then an older man and woman showed them a thing or two...he even sang a few songs! The waiter surprised us again with a few glasses of fruitcello...think lemoncello but red...with the same potency!

You probably already know that they love their beef here! There is a Parrilla (bbq restaurant) on almost every corner, with a pizza restaurant and 2 coffee cafes on the other corners. Obviously, they love their pizza and coffee too - lots of old Italin influence here! We eat out A LOT because it is so inexpensive - anywhere from $20 - $50 for a good meal...including a bottle of nice Argentine wine. We needed a break from the beef and found an ok sushi restaurant (Dashi) and a great Thai (Sudestada) and Vietnamese (Green Bamboo) restuarant. There is a decent Chinese one around the corner from our apt for when we have a veggie craving - Argentines are not much into greens! But they do love papas fritas! They even serve them with pizza! I really don't know how they stay thin... and most of them are. Argentines are really attractive people with beautiful skin, hair and big brown eyes.

We start every morning with a visit to a coffee cafe across the street from our apartment for a cortado (espresso shot with a little steamed milk - think maceado). They have such a nice tradition here...they give you a few yummy cookies with your
At the racesAt the racesAt the races

with Bill, Clayton, and Dragana Lewis.
coffee or you can add a few medialunas (just like croissants) for a few extra pesos! As you can imagine, all of this eating is not great for the waistline! We joined a gym and have been swimming laps every other day to try to work off some of this great food.

As you can see in the photos we have even been to the horse races! We took a train to an outlying neighborhood called San Isidro - where many wealthy Argentines and expats live - with the Lewis's (this time Bill Lewis - Joe's friend and other brother of Clayton - was in town). BTW - Joe's horse won!

One thing about this city that drives me nuts is the sidewalks! They are ankle breakers! There are cracked, loose, pitted, torn-up ones everywhere. We have watched them tear one up to repair something - probably a sewer or water pipe and then never come back to fix the mess!

Joe is in heaven today. After cooking up a nice Easter brunch including a little bbq'd chorizo...he found the Masters on the Spanish ESPN channel and is settled in front of the TV for the rest of the day. Good thing he understands Spanish! And Argentine, Angel Cabrera just won!

We walked out to the golf course (the only one in the city!) the other day. Joe is going to try it out next week.

We are off to Mendoza - the wine region - tomorrow to see where all this good wine comes from!

Be careful out there.
- Molly




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Bike tour of southern BA Barrios Bike tour of southern BA Barrios
Bike tour of southern BA Barrios

..with ANOTHER cute guide. AJ forgot to mention that it was a 4 hour tour when she called to invite us...but since this city is so flat, it was fine...and totally entertaining!
AJ in La BocaAJ in La Boca
AJ in La Boca

Very colorful part of town (years ago the locals decided to brighten up the area and painted all the building with bright left over paint from the ships in the port) and as our guide descibed...it's a very "touristica" area. He was just too cute.


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0226s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb