Peace and quiet .... and goodbyes


Advertisement
South America
October 31st 2008
Published: November 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

In Buenos Aeries again today, and while there was a full day tour, it was a relaxing tour designed to allow us all to recharge our batteries.

Not quite sure that it worked as we are all pretty tired.

Anyway, nice bus ride thru the northern suburbs of BA to the quiet affluent suburb of San Isidro. Went thru a Museum and yes, a Cathedral there too, before jumping on a train along the coast to the river delta at Tigris.

There we had a relaxing boat ride thru the canals past extremely wealthy clubs and houses as well as a wide range of weekenders to a surprise luncheon at a lovely restaurant called the White Cat. Really nice 3 courses but the highlight was a great ice cream cake with chocolate sauce. (I know, I’m into the trivia, but I have to puff this out a bit because it was a quiet day -Its now Thursday and I am typing this on the way to Calafate in Patagonia).

A boat ride then a bus ride back into town but we got to experience ‘Palermo Soho’ - the Bohemian district for an hour (which not many wanted to do - but no matter).

Dinner was a formal farewell dinner (as well as another birthday for one of the group). Restaurant was a Parrilla (BBQ) and the group who ran it were well, well past their prime. They were obviously au fait with Fawlty Towers, and did their best to emulate every aspect of it. Highlight was Helen starting her meal - which was actually meant for birthday girl Natalie, when it was whisked away (partly eaten) and given straight to Natalie. Natalie was a good sport about it, and Helen was a clear winner!
Your correspondent had suckling pig, and we will just put that down to a bad choice. I had the feeling that there were a few other bad choices as well. Not to worry, the theatre of trying to pay the bill made the night worthwhile. We escaped with out lives.
Mike wrote and recited a ditty (I think) and it was quite good. I will post it to close this blog in a week or so. The group got together this morning for the last time and effectively split into two. Time for half the goodbyes. A little sad really!
So now, the chill of El Calafate.
Until then
Ian



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.089s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb