Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu


Advertisement
South America
July 1st 2022
Published: July 19th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Are you thinking about having the greatest adventure of your life? The first thing that comes to mind is probably going through the experience of the Salkantay Trekking.

The famous Salkantay Trek (or Salcantay Trek), is a trek opened to everybody, with no limitations. Connecting the city of Mollepata, Cusco with Machu Picchu, the Salkantay Trek is an ancient and remote footpath located in the same region as the Inca Trail Peru where massive snowcapped mountains collide with lush tropical rain forests. The name Salkantay is a quechua word meaning "Savage Mountain".

The National Geographic Adventure Travel magazine recently named theSalkantay Trek to Machu Picchu as one of the top 25 hiking excursions in the world. Our traditional Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu is a specially created substitute for the conventional Inca Trail. This is a cutting edge event for daring visitors wanting for more adrenaline in their lives because it is off the beaten road. The Salkantay Trek offers the isolation and quiet reflection such a sacred valley deserves along with even more breathtaking sights.

The trek also takes you through the iconic Andean Turquoise Lake, Humantay Lake Peru .



Here are 5 Tips on hiking Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu

#1. Arriving in Cusco a few days before to beginning the Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu is crucial. Prior to the hike, 3 or 4 days should be sufficient. Keep in mind that Cusco is 3,399 meters above sea level, and if you are not used to it, you may get headaches, dizziness, loss of appetite, difficulties sleeping, or shortness of breath.



#2. While it is possible to do the Salkantay Trek alone, it is not advised. For the purpose of making your experience wonderful and unforgettable, we highly advise working with a travel agency that offers appropriate, supervised, and safe tours.



#3. The Salkantay Trek lasts between four and five days; be sure to pick the best travel agency that can offer specialized equipment to help you have the trip of a lifetime. These organizations are required to provide travelers with gear, such as sleeping bags, personal tents, and toilet tents.



#4. Weather is unpredictable on Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu, due to the fact that it winds its way through wildly different terrain at different altitudes. Temperatures here, and at the nearby Soraypampa campsite, can fall below freezing. So make sure to carry appropriate gears and clothings.



#5. The Salkantay Trek is not run as a race and there is always a large discrepancy in people's walking ability. There will always be a staff member at the back of the group to ensure you are not left behind and can take things at your own pace.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb