My House is now a Home


Advertisement
South America
November 17th 2017
Published: November 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

During the past two months of renovation and sprucing up the exterior of my house, dozens of neighbors have stopped to comment. They tell me that my place used to be known as the Ghost House (Casa Fantasma) because of the metal bars on the windows, the peeling paint, the lack of care. They remark on my unique branch-woven fence, the lively painted posts, the lush garden and they thank me for bring... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Sign by RiverWalk PuyoSign by RiverWalk Puyo
Sign by RiverWalk Puyo

Day trip with the Engineers to Puyo on the edge of the Amazon Basin. Here are the instructions for dog owners. NO bathing your dog in the river!
Wrestling Pigs #1Wrestling Pigs #1
Wrestling Pigs #1

Every weekend roadside restaurants serve fritada, pork chunks fried in a big copper wok. They have a huge dead pig hanging out front as advertising.
Wrestling Pigs #2Wrestling Pigs #2
Wrestling Pigs #2

Pig Delivery Service - I pulled over to watch these guys unload the porkers, probably weighing hundreds of pounds!
New Mural in BanosNew Mural in Banos
New Mural in Banos

Gorgeous street art pops up, but sadly fades quickly in the rainy climate. Must be immortalized thru photography!
Pacha Mama RestaurantPacha Mama Restaurant
Pacha Mama Restaurant

Famous for their signature dish of duck cooked in mud this place attracts the masses every weekend.
Housewarming GiftHousewarming Gift
Housewarming Gift

Many folks brought me sweets (a local tradition I guess) as well as candles (which we used right away!) and these long-stemmed roses!
Finished FacadeFinished Facade
Finished Facade

Small awning protects the upper balcony, terracotta planters complete the garden and the plants are finally growing in!
Paint and PlantersPaint and Planters
Paint and Planters

Amazing what a little TLC can do to spruce up a neglected house.



22nd November 2017

Beautiful House!
Hi, Jill, I am so sorry that your week before the housewarming was so excruciating but thankful that it all resolved. What a beautiful place you have created! As for the Air BnB, I doubt if most experiences are as horrific. In the States they charge a clearning fee (a lot) and some charge a refundable security deposit.
23rd November 2017

Beautiful home!
So glad that you recovered so quickly and that you're healthy again, Jill. The house and the pup are beautiful! Miss you! Happy thanksgiving, my dear friend!
18th December 2017

my house is now a home
Jill, your new home is just delightful! I wish you many happy years there. Best wishes for a wonderful holiday season.
20th December 2017

Happy Homecoming to You
Hi Jill, It was enjoyable to read the account of getting your new home ready for the house warming party. It must feel great to have your own place and to be able to fix it up as you like, it is a thrill, unfortunately your health crisis was timed poorly to say the least. Glad that passed. Your paths for walking are beautiful and your dog seems to be very happy such a beautiful area. We are in mid winter, cold and dreary. here in Massachusetts I have just about stopped working and I am waiting for my husband to retire in May. We have a new puppy. a Teddy Bear named Peppah, such a fun dog, fills my day with joy. We still long to get back to Ecuador , I miss it quite a bit so reading your blog is great, feels like I am there. Do not be discouraged with your first renter, most people are good tenants as I have found with my own rentals in the US. It is fun to meet new people and get some extra money. Glad your adventure is going well. Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.035s; cc: 8; qc: 20; dbt: 0.0884s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb