Pueblos del Sur


Advertisement
Venezuela's flag
South America » Venezuela
October 10th 2005
Published: October 11th 2005
Edit Blog Post

La Mesa de los Indios



The name of the town refers to its position on a table-top overlooking an expansive valley. We had read that it was a totally authentic town with many charming colonial houses. Its Plaza Bolivar was a sight to behold, filled with palm trees and colourful flowers.

NOT HOW WE FOUND IT

Yes, it was at the top of the valley, but the views were no better than Merida. The authenticity of the town I think just refered to the fact that no one was around and those who were, just sat doing nothing. Plaza Bolivar had a palm tree and the flowers were obviously out of season. But what also made us decide not to stay was that the only posada had shut and looked like it was not opening for business in the near future.

We ate our lunch in the Plaza and got back on the por puesto to Ejido, where we could change and take a bus (3hrs) to another peublo, called San Jose.

San Jose



Not the most friendly of places, but this really was authentic.
The Posada was shut due to it being the low season, but they opened it up for us and gave us one of the basic which = cold, rooms.

A local lady offered to cook us breakfast and supper at her house, who was the friend of the liquer shop owner, who´s son had driven us there!

After a few shots of rum, purely to warm up, we fell asleep, wrapped under 4 blankets.

My Birthday started with hearing the hooves of horses on the cobbled streets trotting past our room. A breakfast, typical to Venezuela, called Piscandina, was served. Which is a dish of hot milk, cheese, egg and herbs. Not my favourite, but in context, it works.

We explored a little of the town, going down to the river and checking out the entrance sign to the peublo, but we were keen to set off on the 5hr walk to Acequias.

The walk was superb, initially following the river which wound through the valley and then climbed up another mountain to give us panoramic views of three valleys, where small farms and the peublo of San Jose (where we had just stayed) could be seen, far in the distance.

We probably climbed
San JoseSan JoseSan Jose

By the entrance to the peublo. Note the information on altitude etc for the town.
500m to get to Acequias at an altitude above 2,000ft in the burning hot sunshine. What I´m trying to say is that it is not for Sunday walkers nor those who like to follow a map.





Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

San JoseSan Jose
San Jose

On the start of the 5hr walk to Acequias. A local farmer taking his horse home.
The walk to AcequiasThe walk to Acequias
The walk to Acequias

Road and river. Just before the steep climb up the valley
The walk to AcequiasThe walk to Acequias
The walk to Acequias

Passers by on the path
SalSal
Sal

Not looking into camera


Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0792s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb