Ciudad Bolivar


Advertisement
Venezuela's flag
South America » Venezuela » Guayana » Ciudad Bolívar
November 4th 2007
Published: April 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We had a day of manic sorting, more money exchanging and trying to get some flights and trips arranged for the next few weeks. We then headed further north to Ciudad Bolivar, the jumping off point for Angel Falls. After another 11 hour bus journey we arrived at our hotel at midnight. Not the best time to arrive in a strange city and it did feel a bit dodgy and it did get a bit worrying when the old guy on the door where we were staying wouldn’t let us in because it was too late! Fortunately with Michelle playing the girl card he let us in which was good as a car had already drove past us twice and I think if we were there a third time things could have turned nasty.

The next morning we woke up all refreshed and decided to do a little exploring and to find a travel agent to book some flights for the next few weeks. Ciudad Bolivar by day is a pretty city with some nice colonial buildings but shouldn’t have bothered going down to the water front as it’s a bit of a shit hole.

We managed to find a travel agent who could book our flights within Venezuela for when my Mum and sister arrive, booking them this way meant we didn’t have to pay the official exchange rate which we would have had to do if we booked online. In total we booked 10 flights between us and paid just under 3 million in cash! A grand total of £28 per flight and if we paid the official rate it would have cost us £70 per flight!. Paying this way saved us a lot of money and it was great and worth the hassle.

We booked the tour for the four us to Angel falls for £75 each for a 3 day tour which included all the transport, guide and food, so very cheap. So after a hectic day we managed to get loads sorted and could now chill out!

Once again Cuidad Bolivar changed as the sun set, the whole city shuts down and the place is like a ghost town. We wandered around looking for a restaurant but no where was open and things started to look very dodgy so we headed back to the hostel and got lucky. The hotel we have booked for when we stay here with my mum do food. It was a set meal and they just had enough. It was very nice home cooked food of fish and veg and cheap enough so managed to go to bed on a full stomach.

After a very stressful time here we left for Cumana towards the Venezuelan coast. To find somewhere to chill out before meeting my Mum and Sister.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 24; qc: 97; dbt: 0.109s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb