Another rainy day


Advertisement
Venezuela's flag
South America » Venezuela » Andean » Carorita
March 8th 2006
Published: June 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Vacation Bible SchoolVacation Bible SchoolVacation Bible School

Singing with the kids. VBS consisted of singing, games, a verse of the day with a brief discussion, usually a skit or two, crafts, more singing, a snack, and sometimes more games.
Sometime in the night

Today we got some good work done. It was raining all day again—totally unexpected weather conditions all week. Supposedly, the rainy season is in July, but it’s rained the last several days.

This morning, we went to La Puerta (the nearby town) to spend some Bolívares and enjoy more of the Venezuelan culture. Then, this afternoon, the rain continued, but we decided to work anyway. We got soaked making a gravel and brick path from the mission house to the nearby gazebo where they have all their youth meetings and such. It was very hard work, but it felt good.

Tonight, Francisco (the head of the mission here) spoke to us about Liberation Theology and its representation in Luke. Basically, it interprets the Bible from the perspective of the underrepresented—poor, women, “sinners,” etc.—seeing that as how the Goespel was originally intended. It was very insightful. The devotions and lessons all week have been insightful and encouraging, too—so many people with different interpretations and insights—it’s really cool.

Tomorrow is more construction, VBS, and maybe stepping in on an English lesson at school. I continue praying that our cultural exchange may continue and that we
Steps to the SchoolhouseSteps to the SchoolhouseSteps to the Schoolhouse

Walking up to the schoolhouse where we had VBS. There were about 40 kids who came each day, ranging from 4 to 14 years old or so.
may serve and love all our lives in all possible ways.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

The schoolhouseThe schoolhouse
The schoolhouse

We had VBS in the breezeway of the schoolhouse. The schoolhouse had 5-6 rooms, separated by grades (it went up to 5th or 6th grade). The nearest middle school was in a town 15-20 minutes away by car. School usually runs from 9am-noon/1 by what I understand-- give or take an hour.
La PuertaLa Puerta
La Puerta

The town of La Puerta, 15-20 minutes down the mountain from Carorita.
Greenhouse buildingGreenhouse building
Greenhouse building

One of our projects while in Venezuela was building a greenhouse for the mission house. Here are the guys working on it in the rain.
More greenhouse buildingMore greenhouse building
More greenhouse building

Carorita, Venezuela
Even more greenhouse buildingEven more greenhouse building
Even more greenhouse building

Evan, working hard...Carorita, Venezuela


Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0886s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb