uruguaysian persuasion


Advertisement
Uruguay's flag
South America » Uruguay
March 3rd 2010
Published: March 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Argentina, Uruguay


Hi everyone,

well its definitely been ages since we last wrote anything on here. Mainly because we are lazy, haha.

Well, when we left off last time we were leaving BA. BA was fab, but we just had to get out of there, mainly because we wanted to make it to a little place called Gualeguaychu (pronounced wah-leh-way-chu) where they have a massive carnival every saturday of februray.

So we woke up very early on the saturday morning, (10am hahaha - but it was very painful considering we had a huge night to commiserate our leaving BA, and the great friends we made there) and hopped on a bus over to gualeguaychu. When we got off the bus, we were literally standing on a dirt road, looking out onto a dilapidated street with potholes, mud, and run-down shops and buildings. We were wondering what the hell we had gotten ourselves into. We managed to find some decent accommodation - which turned out to be pretty lucky, because as we head off for a walk into the town we discovered thousands of people partying, drinking in the streets, singing, dancing. It was crazy. And so awesome to observe.

Gualeguaychu as a town was pretty funky. It is set along the river (big dirty looking brown thing), and like most small towns in south america, it looks really rundown and from something out of centuries ago, until you come across the one main high street that is chockers full of shops and people.

We got ourselves tickets to carnival and at 9.30 legged it to the superdrome along with thousands of other punters. And let me tell you ... carnival was AMAZING. They put so much detail into all the costumes. The floats were massive. And the argentines certainly are an attractive nation. All the women were gorgeous. They break the show up into two halves, and its really funny because the same 3 songs got sung on repeat for each half. Unfortunately we couldnt figure out the words hahaha.

Carnival went for aaaages, and unfortunately for us sadsacks, we were too partied out from BA, so we actually left carnival before it finished and at around 3am we went off to bed.

The next day (sunday) we decided it was time to leave. Most people were pushing off and heading back to their homes. So we decided to walk on over to the bus station and see what time buses were going to uruguay. In my rubbish spanish, and the info persons rubbish english she told us that we couldnt actually get to uruguay from gualeguaychu, that we had to actually catch a bus up to Colon - 3 hours north from our current location, and then cross.

We didnt really want to do that because it was going away from our destination. We wanted to meet up with some mates in colonia, uruguay. Also the lonely planet said that fray bentos in uruguay was only 15km away and buses ran btwn the two towns. However this info girl was insistent that we couldnt get into uruguay from there. So we checked the bus times for Colon, and realised there was one leaving in exactly 15 mins. So while i bought our tickets, hayden managed to run outside, flag a taxi, dash back to the hotel, grab our bags, and get back to the bus station, right in time for the bus to leave. Good job!!

Colon, was a very quaint little town. Also set along the big dirty brown river, looks like a run'down ghost town until you hit the high street. Except of course, being a sunday, not much was open. We wanted to head straight to uruguay that same day. Paysandu, the nearest town in uruguay was only 16km away across the border. Except of course, no buses were running on Sunday, and a taxi across the border would cost us over $50US, so we decided to save our cashola and just crash the night. We got the bus times from the info girl at the station.

The next day we set our alarms to get up early for our 8am bus. Packed, and legged it over to the station. Only to find the info girl had given us the times for the buses going the opposite direction. sigh. and our bus wasnt actually leaving until the arvo. So we put our packs back on and legged it back to the hotel, figuring we still had 2.5 hours before checkout so we would just chill.

side-note : we are now pros at walking long distances with our packs. And i was worried we would stack on the weight whilst travelling. Nope no chance, not even with all the fatty foods here. With all the walking we do everywhere we are fading away.

AND then ... FINALLY we got into uruguay. We didnt stay in the border town, we just explored the town, until our bus to Colonia was due to leave.

Colonia del sacramento .. now here is a cute little place. Apparently listed as a unesco world heritage site, or whatever that thing is. Its set on the coast - except the ocean is an icky poo brown colour. Our hostel had free bike hire, so we grabbed some bikes, and after 2 minutes realised how dumb we were. The cobbled, uneven streets not really great for bikes. Colonia was quite a small place, so exploring didnt take too long.

We only stayed 2 days, which was definitely enough.

We then legged it over to Montevideo, which is the capital of Uruguay, and a larger city. And we ended up at this CRAP hostel (called Unplugged Hostel). Tiny tiny rooms, squooshed into a 6 bed dorm, that should have only had 2 beds in it. And then they whacked three other people in our room - who between the 3 of them, they had 7 massive suitcases. There was no room for us to even stand.

By this stage we had gone 5 days without meeting anyone who spoke english, so we were feeling a little overwhelmed.

We didnt really like montevideo. I can see how it would be nice, maybe. Its a city, so has the CBD area and surrounding suburbs that each have something going for it. Its also set along the coast, and would be gorgeous, except the ocean is that icky poo brown colour. Crikes. By this stage we were dying for a swim, since it was rather hot everywhere. But noooo. We kept chasing the coastal towns, only to be let down.

The one good thing we found in monetvideo was a little lonely planet gem of a restuarant. buffet place that had curries and chinese food and different cuisines. The food available so far had been - hamburgers, fries, sandwiches, hotdogs, pastas, pizzas. We were getting so sick of it. Although we tried to cook one meal a day, just for some healthiness and veges.

We had thought of staying in monetevideo for a couple of days, but didnt enjoy it so we pushed on the next day ... to Punta del este.

wooh. talk about your beach resort places. punta del este was pretty cool. its the cool place to be for south americans, and apparently the rich and famous fly from all over to come here (i dunno about that, i didnt see any celebs hehe). There are big apartment buildings everywhere. So many that i wonder how the hell they all get filled up. It reminded us a little of surfers in Qld.

The main thing we liked about this place (and yes this sounds terrible) is that we FINALLY ran into westerners - english again!! whoo hoo. Although by this stage, i was definitely getting my ear for spanish, so can actually understand most of what people are saying to me now when they are not talking a million words a minute. The hostel we stayed at was pretty awesome. El Viajero - they have a chain through uruguay, so actually know what travellers need from a hostel.

The beaches in punta del este were still that icky poo brown colour, although not quite as icky, maybe the slightest, tiniest tint of green. But that didnt stop us. As soon as we got there we hopped into our togs and went swimming. Only to find that there are mussels washed up all along the shoreline and the first 15 metres of water. Man do they hurt on bare feet. but we didnt care, we braved the sharp shells, and big rock things, and frolicked in the water.

We had a massive night that night, playing Kings with the people at the hostel, and then heading out in the town. The next day we went to Bikini beach, which is supposed to be this amazing place. Apparently its where the gliterrati go, and where all the beautiful people hang out. Of course, we figured that applies to us, haha, and caught the bus out to that section of the coast. But it was a big let down. Not too many people, and the water was crazy. The waves were big and dumpy, and the undertow was insanely strong. we couldnt even swim out at all, could only stand on shore and get pummeled.

Meh, so far, the uruguayshian coast has not very impressive beaches.

The second night was carnival in punta del este, so we went out. It was a massive difference to the argentinian carnival. It was more your local, home'town thing. Home made costumes, non choreographed dancers. Lots of flag waving. But it was fun. Everyone got into it, cheering, dancing, and singing. The kids run around with bottles of shaving cream and spray everyone. A good night.

The next day we decided to head out of punta del este, because it was pretty expensive, and we were trying to catch up with my old flattie Gavan, from London who was in punta del diablo.

And this is where we are at the moment. A lovely, awesome, little beach town called Punta del Diablo. The lonely planet says the population of diablo is 800. Probably true. But in high season, there are a few thousand here. This place is great. The ocean is a mix of brown-green coloured. (still no lovely blue ocean colour in sight), the people are friendly. There are lots of cute little food places. Its just super chilled and has such a good vibe. We have also met some awesome people here. Mainly aussies hahaha. We loved this place so much, that we were supposed to leave last night to head to brazil, and ended up blowing off our $120US bus tickets, just to stay an extra night!!! Talk about bloody crazy.

When we arrived we checked into the hostel, and as we were being shown our room my mate Gav stumbled out of a room. What a reunion. Although poor Gav was probably regretting running into us. He was meant to leave that day and ended up staying another two. He looked ragged when he finally left, hahaha.

Our hostel ' El Tranquilo Diablo, is awesome. We are very much loving this place. Party till 6am, sleep till 12, feed, swim, chill, cook, chill, swim, gasbag about nothing in particular. Ahhh bliss.

A couple of nights ago we did a sunset horse tour. We rode horses along the dunes, into a national park, then sat around and drank wine, ate bisuits and gasbagged (i can understand a lot of spanish now), then galloped back along the beach under the full moon light. It was pretty awesome, and i have only been on a horse once before and am not really a horse person. Hayden loved it. Yep apprently motobike boy likes the real horse power as much as the fake one 😊

Yesterday we had to go to the border town of Chuy. Which is a pretty crazy place. They have the main drag-high street, which actually is 4 lanes wide, on one side is Brazil, on the other side is Uruguay, but the border is still a few kms away. And every second store in Chuy is a duty free store. Its packed full of shops that sell everything under the sun. So funny.

I had not realised that its a BIG deal to get a brazilian visa. All of our friends who have backpacked south america had always mentioned getting their visa at the border. Except i realised later that it was always at Iguaza falls, which actually spans across two countries - brazil and argentina. So they process visas pretty quickly there so that people can see the falls on both sides.

Everyone we talked to was telling me it would be a massive drama getting my brazilian visa and i should have done it from home, blah de blah, and to be prepared to head back to argentina. From home you send away your passport with photos, bank statements, exit flight details, a big fee, and you get it back a month later.

For me however, it was easy peasy. We walked straight into the Brazilian Consul in Chuy. Gave them my passport, a photo and the equivalent of $50US, and 20 mins later i had my brand spanky new brazilian tourist visa, valid for 90 days. AWESOME.

I should point out here that hayden, being a kiwi has had it pretty easy. Upon entering Argentina, I had to fork over $100us because im an aussie, while hayden got in free. And in Brazil, he doesnt need a tourist visa either. Lucky bugger.

Anywho. In Chuy yesterday we bought our bus tickets to make our way up to Florianopolis in Brazil (have to go via porto allegre first), except when we got back to our hostel we met some great people, and decided to blow off the bus tickets and party it up. So here i sit, after 4 hours of sleep, hayden still passed out, and i am determined to leave diablo today. Our time here has been great, we have met some awesome people, and the hostel has been fab. But its time to leave uruguay, my liver needs a break. hahaha.

So we are going to fork out another $120US tonight and get a night bus 8 hrs to porto allegre, hopefully only have a short stopover for an hour or so and then head 7 hrs north to florianopolis. Which is supposed to be awesome. Argh. Im thinking we are going to rent an apartment for a couple of nights just to take a break and get some time to ourselves. Not sure i can continue with this crazy social life for another 4 months, im getting old ya know hahahaha.

Anyways. Thats it from us for this week. Will try and write an update from floripa.

We hope everyone is fine and dandy back home.

xxx








Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb