Getting Legal


Advertisement
Uruguay's flag
South America » Uruguay » West » Colonia del Sacramento
April 26th 2009
Published: April 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

ColoniaColoniaColonia

Welcome sign
Yesterday was the 3 month trip to Uruguay that everyone who travels to Buenos Aires has to take. Upon entering the country you are given a three month visa, and so since most of us from the class arrived at the same time, it was time for us to go. Out trip ended up being Ayla, Julia and me, with Heather and her parents also taking the same boat, Tom, Chris and Hans had to go earlier because they had entered the country about a week earlier than any of us. We left from the terminal at 10 and took the hour long boat trip to Colonia across the Rio Plata. The river, which is pretty close to the ocean is very brown and the morning was cloudy, so the day wasn't looking so good. By the time we reach the Colonia shower it we sunny and beautiful. Colonia is a smaller town and it was full of tourists, both people renewing their visa and porteƱos from Buenos Aires. It was definitely a nice change from the big city for the day.
We started out by walking around the city to see what it was like. The streets are all cobblestone and with plenty of older small buildings. The thing to see in Colonia is the lighthouse. We went up to the top of it and sat for a while over looking the city and the rio. We were getting hungry and tired so we decided to eat. Unfortunately Colonia is a very expensive town and since everything was in Uruguayan pesos, we didn't know how much it cost until the end. They did however have sea food. Julia and Ayla shared paella and I had some kind of white fish. Learning the seafood names has been difficult in Buenos Aires since they don't show up so often.
After a relaxing lunch we went and found some rocks on the water. There wasn't much beach, but a lot of water. Ayla and Julia took naps while I read. After they had woken up we went and found some smaller rocks to try and skip, but they didn't have very many that were a good shape. After this we went to try and find a place for some coffee and went over by the docks. We eventually found a place that had coffee and chocolate chip cookies. It was a house which had a lawn that overlooked the rio and the dock from where we watched the sunset. Our boat left at 8:15 to take us home. After the Uruguay trip we took the subte home all got ready and met back at Chris' where there was an asado or barbecue. He lives in a very swanky apartment building, apartment sitting for someone. For us to visit there was a guest list and we had to include our passport numbers. The asado took place on the roof of the apartment building, which included an infinity pool over looking the city. It was actually possible to see stars which was wonderful. I'll put the pictures up of Colonia for you. I am teaching again, Monday through Friday from 5 to 7 and taking spanish classes from 3-5.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

View in the other directionView in the other direction
View in the other direction

You can see the boat that we came in on.
Ayla and JuliaAyla and Julia
Ayla and Julia

On the top of the lighthouse.
Dinosaur BonesDinosaur Bones
Dinosaur Bones

We happened upon this and have no idea what they were doing there, but it was large.
The rocksThe rocks
The rocks

The view from the rocks where we spent much of the day.
El TorreonEl Torreon
El Torreon

The place where we eat lunch.


28th April 2009

Love it
The pics were great, as usual. I used the sailboat one as my desktop wallpaper. Thanks David!!!!

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb