Day Trip to Uruguay


Advertisement
Published: June 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Joe´s girlfriend, Stephanie, and her sister, Jill, met us up for about a week in Buenos Aires. While they were still in Buenos Aires, we decided to take a day trip to Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay. We took a high speed boat over to Uruguay, and like good tourist, immediately disrupted the peace by renting a loud, gas powered golf cart. This thing maxed out at 10 mph and had difficulty making it up hills but we still took it on the main roads with traffic, sidewalks, over curbs, offroading, etc. It would have actually been cheaper to rent a car, but this was way more fun!

The town is actually the oldest town in Uruguay and is on the Rio de la Plata, which is the estuary that separates Argentina and Uruguay. It actually is a peninsula that is only about 5 blocks wide. The water is a brownish color, but the city still has great views of the Uruguay coast.

Not much else to report, since we spent most of the day checking out the old cobblestone streets and messing around with the golf cart. We did go to a really cool, small BBQ place and had steak, pizza and sangria. The place felt like you were in someone’s backyard having a BBQ and had cool views of the water. The steak rivaled some of the most expensive places in Buenos Aires and Rio. It was a cool side trip and the only one that we actually were able to do considering that nearly every night in Buenos Aires turns into a 5 or 6 am fiesta. I will post pictures of Buenos Aires when we leave... One day left!



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0875s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb