Uruguay!


Advertisement
Uruguay's flag
South America » Uruguay » East » Punta del Este
December 31st 2011
Published: December 31st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hello from Punta del Este in Uruguay! Have just finished a day of beaches and walking around this resort town, although we were told we would see ferraris on the streets here the best we have seen is a porsch, and even that was a 4WD.

This seems to be the richest place in Uruguay and very different from Montevideo. For lunch we went to the port here and ordered fresh seafood in the market and had it cooked up on the spot. Unfortunately did not do currency conversions well and failed to realise it was about $100 US for our lunch, not bad overall, but up there for south american prices. Also saw a sea lion fend off two street dogs and an intruiging battle - we were on the sea lions side.

before montevideo we had two more days on the ship and in those two days all three boys managed to contract near fatal doses of man-cold-head-flu. Visits were made to pharmacies to request strongest cold medications possible although only Joshy was man enough to front up to the last karaoke night on the ship last night - proudly and solely singing Everybody Needs Somebody by the blues brothers. All reports indicated a standing ovation. To be confirmed. We pretty much just gorged on food and sat in the sun while on the ship, on one of the nights we had a 9 course meal followed by dessert in one of the specialty restuarants. This first time we ate the next day was pizza at 4pm.

-yesterday we got into Montevideo - one one of their main festivals of the year which consisted of locals tearing up calendars and throwing them from roofs and windows along with throwing water and water bombs at pedestrians from same roofs and windows. Joshy took direct hits while me and Evvie used street smarts and the local police to evade. It was an awesome city with great culture and art and we walked around for most of the day. At the end of the day evvie joind me for a whirlwind tour of the fortified historic parts of the city which we completed according to maps in record time. Photos were tkane at each monument with each of us recreating how we saw history going down for posterity. Will bring the brochure home to give good effect to our pictorial efforts.

Now we are getting ready to board the boat for new years eve party! It is so good that we are having one party on the pool deck until midnight, celebrating, then we cross the timelime, go back one hour and have another celebration inside one hour later. Two new years in one night - VERY NIIICCE!!! High 5.

Will check in from buenos aires where joshy has booked quite super accomodation and I am considering a trip to iguazu falls - buses and time permitting. Cheers! P

Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0766s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb