Montevideo in Winter


Advertisement
Published: July 5th 2016
Edit Blog Post

The $80 ferry-bus combo to Montevideo was more expensive than I'd hoped, but it was a fairly comfortable 3-hour trip.

It rained nearly the entire time I was there, though it was unseasonably warm, so I still got in some nice walks and runs, especially along the Rambla, the road and trail that follows the coastline and then Rio de la Plata where it mixes with the sea. The miserable weather met my expectations and reminded me of home.

There's a nice locally owned hostel called Buenas Vibras in a residential neighborhood, but still only a half hour walk to the bus station or city center, and only about 5 blocks from the beach.

There are small museums with narrow scopes, like the '1972', which is all about the rugby team that crashed in the Andes (the book/movie Alive). There's also a free walking tour every day that leaves from Plaza Independencia.

The city's grittiness and port atmosphere remind me of Melbourne and Lisbon for some reason... I thought it was worth a visit in winter since the entry from Argentina was free and Punta del Este would be nicer to visit in another season.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Along the RamblaAlong the Rambla
Along the Rambla

A trail goes along the sea/river here for 25k+, with beaches, soccer and rugby fields, and parks scattered along the way.
Grilling Grilling
Grilling

People love to grill in the street here, usually using wood to cook all sorts of meats, and even pizza.


Tot: 0.305s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0825s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb