A soccer game to remember.


Advertisement
Published: December 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

I meant no disrespect but Soccer to me is as foreign as Volleyball to Canadians. I've managed to view a few games here and there, especially during the FIFA 2010 but never had an inkling to it. On our recent travel to South America, we weren't hoping to catch a game but I guess its one of those things that happen when you're on the road.

As we finished our casual stroll of Montevideo, we stumbled upon a rare opportunity. One of the our hostel managers is an avid Soccer fan (who isn't in South America) and it was stroke of luck that his favourite hometown team (Penarol Montevideo) will be playing against a Brazilian team (Goias Goiania). How often do you get a chance to watch a live soccer game in South America with a local fan and famous rivalry. Having somewhat of a rough idea on how soccer means to South Americans day to day life, nothing could have prepared us with its electric energy. As we headed off to the stadium, we were welcomed by enormous amounts of banners, flags and groups of people chanting the home teams' song. Wow! is the best way to describe it. I remember asking the better half; if they celebrate in this manner outside, I wonder what the atmosphere would be in the playing field?

We managed to get good seats just at the center area where the view the whole field is easily attained. As we settle down and consume their passion for the sport. Our acquaintances gave us a quick intro on soccer, the crowds and how soccer continuous to shape every Uruguyan's life. As we continue to digest these information. I remember a portion of the book "Playing with the Enemy". Were the inspiring Nelson Mandela leveraged "Rugby" in an effort to rally a whole nation in support of the national team "Springbok" and managed to make this ordeal as a successful initial step to end differences in South Africa. It's great to know that these types of mediums exist to bring varied parties in unison.

As soon as the hometown team rushed into the field, everything erupted. It was a deafening sound that we've never experienced. With the crowds constant chants and explosiveness whenever a goal was attained, it was like I'm watching a piece of their souls celebrate and embrace such joy.

One thing I've learned through out this ordeal! Soccer in Latin American nations is not just religion; its a lifestyle.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Soccer buddiesSoccer buddies
Soccer buddies

A Peruvian, Paraguayan and Filipinos (us).


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0302s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb