Montevideo, Nightlife


Advertisement
Published: August 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Once in Montevideo we check in to the Hotel Palacio (no you are not reading double, that's the second Hotel Palacio we've been in). This is a really interesting place that doesn't look like it has been changed since the 18th Century. It even has some ancient lift complete with gilt shutter doors.

We have a problem as we only booked a single and a twin and now there are four of us but the staff are brilliant though and, all dressed in matching smocks, manage to change our single bed room into a twin.

After heeding the warnings of "not going to the port at night" we search for a nearby restaurant and find The Manchester which seemingly serves everything. Resisting the temptation to mention that Big Ben, adorning the plates and scenery, isn't in Manchester, we order and are once more supplied with huge portions in both food and beer and the bottle size is now 1 litre.

Have stuffed ourselves once more we go back to the hotel but I am convinced by Sol to join him in sampling the capital's nightlife. I am not too sure what to expect as the square outside our hotel was empty when we went in however by 11pm it is absolutely heaving.

We go for a bar which offers some live music, the music is bad but after a few beers and jugs of sangria we really don't care and are soon chatting with the native ladies using our natural language skills...."Dooo yoooou speeeeak Enggglish???" No honestly I was a bit more sophisticated than that.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0826s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb