Montevideo - Uruguay


Advertisement
Published: August 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Montevideo - surprising city of art

A speedy 2.5 hour bus ride east of colonia, with jean snoring at the countryside, we headed to the capital of Uruguay, Montevideo! the weather was awful....cold, wet and miserable. but we mustered up enough energy to explore a city that didn´t look very enticing....we were very proud of ourselves!! So here´s what we discovered...• City highlights: ok....we´re struggling here. we stumbled across an incredible gallery devoted to ´latin american gangs - a history of violence´which was pretty amazing.• Accommodation: 3.5/5. A charming old hotel with a jeeves style concierge at reception. Plus cable tv!! always a bonus.• Food: the worst we´ve had to date!! it was the first rookie error we´ve also made on our holiday when selecting a restaurant....or perhaps our bodies have finally succumbed to the fact that excess sausage/chips/meat/fried eggs = general fatigue and ill health.• Misc: supposedly a city renowned for its ginormous steaks, nice beaches and gorgeous views of the harbour (we´ll have to take their word for it); policemen carrying sawn-off shot guns and semi automatic rifles whilst wearing coke bottle glassess do not instill a great deal of faith in safety of the tourist district. possibly a place we could have missed. hasta mañana!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0527s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb