The Otherworldly Kings


Advertisement
South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands' flag
South America » South Georgia » South Georgia
December 13th 2016
Published: December 22nd 2016
Edit Blog Post

“The inner part of the country was not less savage and horrible: the wild rocks raised their lofty summits till they were lost in the clouds and the valleys laid buried in everlasting snow. Not a tree or shrub was to be seen, no not even big enough to make a tooth-pick.”



Captain James Cook, 1777

Mt Brown overlooks the administrative capital of King Edward Point and the old whaling station of Grytviken. Hiking to the summit was my first venture into the interior - it is a stunning place! The flat areas are really wet and swampy, the hills are steep and rocky – it’s a harsh environment. The view from the windy summit was superb – I was surrounded by a tangle of rugged glaciated peaks, deep valleys and fjord systems.

Ah! South Georgia…

South Georgia is a gem -a wildlife destination like nowhere else! The raw nature in this small British Overseas Territory is both visually overwhelming and stimulating for the olfactory system. It is always an honour to visit this remote island and get up close and personal with its masses of king penguins, fur seals and mighty elephant seals. Quarter of a million King penguins greet you on the beach at St Andrew’s, an almost impossible jam of elephant seals smother the beach at Gold Harbour, and aggressive fur seals protect the ghostly remains of Stromness Whaling Station.

I always struggle to capture South Georgia with words. It is too intense to describe…

It’s an amazing destination – far from anywhere with remarkable topography and otherworldly wildlife. It has a dark history of whaling and sealing, but a bright future as a protected nature reserve…

From South Georgia we set course for the rarely seen and super-rarely visited South Orkney Islands. It was a real treat to get to experience this bleak part of the sub-Antarctic…

The ship then continued further south and west to the Antarctic Peninsula…



Dave


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Shingle CoveShingle Cove
Shingle Cove

In the wild South Orkneys


24th December 2016

Amazing as always!
Love your travels and posts....keep 'em coming.
24th December 2016
Young Elephant Seal

Open a studio!
Magnificent
24th December 2016
The Masses

Creatures of South Georgia
Amazing...
24th December 2016

The Kings
Thanks for taking us along on another one of your great adventures. South Georgia is a must see for us.
28th December 2016

"Wow"
Your pictures are amazing Dave. You should do a wildlife picture book.

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0524s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb