Base City, Machu Picchu


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru
November 16th 2015
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Sacred ValleySacred ValleySacred Valley

Going down to Pisca with the Sacred Valley stretching before us. This was the bread basket of the Incas and they grew mainly corn, and potatoes in the higher altitudes. We first met Hannah in our group at Iguazu Falls, saw her again on the Cusco city tour and then again today on the trip to Machu Picchu.
Geo: -13.1579, -72.5234

On Mon we travelled to Machu Picchu base by bus and then train. Crossed out of the Cusco Valley and joined the Scared Valley of the Incas at Pisca. Had a good look and long walk to the high-altitude Inca ruins and massive agricultural terrace structures above the town. These were still used for crops in recent times (with the irrigation systems still working), up until the 1980s when the Government declared the area a historical park and started restorations.

Then on to the Incan administrative city of Ollantaytambo (Oyan-teh-tambo, in Spanish double 'll' is always pronounced 'y'😉. Again with extensive terraces and an incomplete Sun Temple, at the top of several hundred steps. Here were 100+ tonne meticulously dressed and fitted stones brought (remarkably) from neighbouring mountains. It is thought that the arrival of the Spaniards caused work to be abandoned.

At Oyan we caught the train to Machu Picchu base, a 90min ride along the valley beside the Urubamba River. Steep and craggy mountains on each side, some of them snow covered. We overnight here and have an early start tomorrow when the bus will take us up to the MP ruins.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Above PiscaAbove Pisca
Above Pisca

These terraces were worked by Incans from three small neighbouring villages. The altitude at the top was a little over 3,500m, or 11,500ft. It was here that thousands of (plundered) Inca graves were discovered. The Incans mummified their dead in an upright foetal position and placed them in niches in the rock.
Machu Picchu trainMachu Picchu train
Machu Picchu train

We had a good chat with Kaz, a 45year-old Japanese man who is on a one-month, around the world airline ticket holiday. Younger ones from our group are walking in to the MP ruins along one of the Inca trails, camping out along the four day, three night hike.


17th November 2015

Sel, Rob, Reading your blog daily ...thanks ...haven't been verbose in response ....it can happen! I am vicariously enjoying your trip. Cheers, Lowie (and Carol ....currently on the ice)

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0289s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb