Machu Picchu +


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru
November 17th 2015
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Aguas Calientes bus stationAguas Calientes bus stationAguas Calientes bus station

The tourist town at the foot of MP is named after its "hot springs". The tourist season dries up during the wet - Dec to Apr, and many of the tourism workers look for work elsewhere.
Geo: -13.1611, -72.5476

Our guide Francisco came to our hotel last night to brief us on the plans for today. We caught the 30min switch-back bus ride to Machu Picchu a bit after 6am, intending to do a two-hour private guided tour of the ruins, followed by a hike to the Sun Gate lookout and then another hike to the top of the neighbouring mountain Waynapicchu.

At first low clouds obscured the ruins and we decided (after eye-balling the hikes) to pass on the gentler Sun Gate walk and to do the ticketed climb of Waynapicchu a little later.

Archaeologists figure MP was built over only about 70 years, in the mid 1400s. It only accommodated about 700 people, with perhaps a majority being "Chosen" women. The city was never discovered by the Spanish, and it was not until 1911 that an American professor looking for a different city "stumbled" across MP.

Beware, slow loading, lots of pics...


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Unprepossessing EntranceUnprepossessing Entrance
Unprepossessing Entrance

The razz-mattaz, map signs, lockers and stalls were at the top of the bus ride. There is also a small boutique hotel there. After a 5min walk we were excited to see glimpses of the ruins over the heads of the little knot of people.
City GateCity Gate
City Gate

Hiram Bingham apparently found the remains of a closed massive wooden door. This has led to the belief that the inhabitants knew of the Spanish conquistadors and decided to evacuate the city. There are pulleys and bolt holes carved into the stone that were somehow used to open and close the gate.
Machu PicchuMachu Picchu
Machu Picchu

A great view of the city could be seen from the Watchman's House, way at the top of the terraces. It was cloudy when we climbed up there on arrival and we were too knackered to go up again after we climbed Waynapicchu. This pic is from the Sacred Plaza that separates the city into "male" and "female" sides.
MasonryMasonry
Masonry

The precision of the masonry for their important buildings is very impressive. There were many styles of masonry throughout the city. Often they integrated their building with existing rock outcrops. You can see the ubiquitous 7 to 8 degree lean on the wall.
WaynapicchuWaynapicchu
Waynapicchu

Machu Picchu means "old mountain", Waynapicchu means "young mountain". We were daunted by the look of this climb but our guide said the round trip to the summit could be comfortably done in 90min or so. Really? The authorities controlled entry to this walk. The first group of 200 climbers could only pass the entry gate between 7 and 8am. The second group (us, again 200, sign in and out) could enter between 10 and 11am. We've since been told that travel insurance does not cover incidents on Waynapicchu - if true an important oversight by our guide for not warning us!
Waynapicchu lookoutWaynapicchu lookout
Waynapicchu lookout

One of the very few flat areas on the climb. This was most of the way to the summit. Spectacular! The city was apparently laid out in the shape of a condor, and Francisco showed us a graphic that demonstrated this.
Proof of ClimbProof of Climb
Proof of Climb

It was very hard work. From the entrance the path dipped down. From the low point to the top was a 252m unremitting climb, all rough stone steps. My knees were OK going up (although my fitness was found wanting at 8,500ft elevation) but coming down was hard.
Steep and scarySteep and scary
Steep and scary

This was near the summit: did we really start from all the way down there? As you said Morag, there is a totally different approach to WH&S here. No way this climb would be open to the public in Oz. In a particularly steep section Robyn was following a woman who was petrified, and Robyn gave her encouragement almost every step to talk her down. Including photo stops and multiple rest breaks, the round trip took us just over two hours. 90min my foot! The lower peak between us and MP is called Huaynapicchu. It can also be climbed.


18th November 2015

Rob, Sel, My cup of "envyness" runneth over! Can't wait to see the pictures and hear the stories! Cheers, Lowie
18th November 2015

Aw geez guys am so proud of you. What an achievement and just love sharing it all with you. All that history.
18th November 2015

Was going to ask how you coped, figured you had been in serious training for all this mountain goat trekking and has paid off.

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0243s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb