Machu Picchu, You Captured My Soul!


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru
July 25th 2011
Published: July 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The Big Day!!The Big Day!!The Big Day!!

View of Machu Picchu from Huayna Picchu
I started climbing Machu Picchu well before the sunrise. A little over an hour later, I arrived at the top of the mountain feeling like a champ. It was probably the hardest hike I have ever done! Step after step of what seemed to be an endless stairway to the mountain top led to a heaven on Earth. I cannot express in words how astonishing this place really is. Every angle, every corner, every inch of the mountain really does take your breath away. The best part is the adventure up to Huayna Picchu, where you can capture a beautiful panoramic of the entire Inca City. Be forewarned, only the first 400 to arrive at the top of Machu Picchu will get a stamp to climb up Huayna Picchu; it is a huge mountain behind Machu Picchu. From there, the most amazing view of the mountain, the valley and the river in one. One could get lost in time. A site like such cannot be visualized through words or even photos, but must be experienced first hand.

Quick Tips:
**I did the 4 day Inca Trail hiking through the towns of the Urubamba Valley with the final day being the
Urubamba RiverUrubamba RiverUrubamba River

Day 1 after biking and lunch. Rafting class III rapids.
ultimate hike up to Machu Picchu. With this trail, I also mountain biked my way down to the first town and rafted through the Urubamba River (class III when I went) on the very first day. The next couple days were strictly hikes, up and down mountains and through villages with stops at the river and a short hike up a waterfall.
**Be prepared! Pack light, though you can put your things in the van as it goes from town to town with the group. Insect repellent is a must! Bring bathing suits and light clothing. Light long pants and long sleeve shirts are recommended to protect your skin. A hat is also a very good investment. Hiking shoes are highly recommended. Of course, do not forget the sunscreen!
**Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are included.
**If you happen to have the same tour guides as I, Leo and Gato, they will bring you to a little club one of the nights. Pretty fun!!
**Pit stop at Cuzco for a few days to acclimatize to the altitude before heading up to Machu Picchu, some 8000 feet above sea level! Also, Cuzco is a beautiful city.
**Bring your A game and have
Day 3Day 3Day 3

Started the day with a short hike up to this waterfall
fun!



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

First DayFirst Day
First Day

Mountain biking
Day 2Day 2
Day 2

View during the hike


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb