Inca Trail day 4


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru
June 26th 2011
Published: June 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Day 4
Theme song today We are the Champions.
Once again we set off after a 4.30am wake up call. Breakfast and then set off to checkpoint around 5.30. Excitement is building as we only have 2 hours 6km ahead of us to Sun gate and it should be easy after what we have done. At that hour of the morning the forest is just waking up as we walk through it and the clouds are slowly moving to display the beauty of the Andes mountains surrounding us. As one we move down the path determined that all eight of us would reach the end together today. Talk is light hearted and spirits high as we anticipate our first view of Macchu Picchu.
Other than a steep flight of what the guides called the monkey steps where we climbed on all fours up them as they were so steep and narrow. Before we knew it we were at the sun gate just as the sun rose its head to shine though the gates over us. Time for more high fives, exhaltations, hugs, congratulations and a group chant. What an awesome feeling.
We sat at the gate and waited for the clouds to lift as the sun burned the mists away to reveal the ruins but we only caught tantalising glimpses before the clouds hid it again. So after 20 minutes to refuel we set off again down the path a 45 mins final trek to our destination. It all seemed so unreal. So much time and effort, nerves and sheer grit had got us here and it was hard to believe it was nearly over.
Macchu Picchu was all and more than we had expected. What an amazing place.
Before we explored it with Elias our guide we met up with Marianne our Kiwi traveller who had opted to not trek and met us by train. What a wonderful surprise when after smelly hugs us and hellos she revealed a bottle of Peruvian champagne, chocolates and beer to celebrate our success with. It just kept getting better.
A 2 hour tour through the site with Elias had us even more in awe of this civilisation and what they had achieved here.
Time to rest sit on a rock and contemplate now. This is when the brickwall hit me and the tears flowed. I couldnt have asked for better guides and people to share this journey with. This is a time when the journey is so much more than the destination even when it is as awesome as the site of Macchu Picchu. This is a place where I felt a part of my soul belonged.
A 25 minute steep bus ride down the mountain, lunch and a four thirty train back to Cusco by 9pm. Such a big day. Hot showers, food and bed were all we wanted.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0291s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb