Colca Canyon Tour


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru
June 18th 2009
Published: June 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Native GirlNative GirlNative Girl

We stopped to see the alpaca near this girl and we were able to get a picture of her holding a 1 day old lamb. The mother died giving birth.
Left for Colca Canyon at 7:30 am Wednesday morning and drove around 3 hours to the town of Chivay. On the way, we drove through our high point of 4,??? meters above sea level. Macayla and I both had headaches and our tour guide gave us drops of alcohol to rub in our hands and quickly breathe in. It helped but for a short period of time. We finally took an aspirin each and that did the trick. Anyway, we drove through some highlands and were able to see our first alapacas in the wild. Very exciting. Once we arrived in Chivay, our stopping point for the night, we checked into the hostel and then went to the hotsprings. This was wonderful since we were so cold up in the mountains. It was below freezing once the sun went down. Then we changed and went to a local restaurant with typical Peruvian dancers performing. They wore beautiful outfits and asked many patrons to come up and dance with them. Macayla was a lucky girl because she was picked. She was so embarassed and I got lots of photos.
The hostel had no heat and we froze all night long. Very little
Beautifully dressed Native WomanBeautifully dressed Native WomanBeautifully dressed Native Woman

She is selling her goods.
sleep and had to get going by 6:30 am to go see the Andean Condors. They were amazing to watch soaring through the Colca Canyon (the second deepest canyon in the world; the Grand Canyon is fourth). We were able to get some great pictures. Then we headed back. Made it to Arequipa by 4:30 pm and now we must decide where we will be off to next.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

AlpacaAlpaca
Alpaca

Thrilled to see these animals.
More AlpacaMore Alpaca
More Alpaca

Macayla with the Alpaca.
Colca CanyonColca Canyon
Colca Canyon

Me and Macayla
Colca CanyonColca Canyon
Colca Canyon

Snowcapped mountain behind.


Tot: 0.311s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0247s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb