Machu Picchu at last


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru
May 14th 2009
Published: May 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Machu Picchu
After talking with people up at the hot springs we decided that it would be best to try and get up at 0430 in order to ensure that we would get in the first 200 so we could climb Wayna Picchu.

In the event we need not have bothered setting the alarm as a family in the Hostel got up at 0400 and probably woke everyone else up. We ended up being 2nd in the queue for the 1st bus up the mountain (0530). On arrival we found that many of the tour groups transport their people up the mountain independantly of the official buses. Once the gates opened at around 0600 there was a grand scramble to get across to the entrance to Wayna Picchu, where you were split into two lines - one for the 0700 climb and the other for the 1000 climb. Those climbing at 1000 were given a numbered ticket to return at that time. We were numbers 18 and 19 for the 0700 climb.

The climb was pretty exhausting with lots of steep steps but we still made it to the top inside the first fifty. Magnificent view and well worth the effort although would be a lot harder at 1000 when the day starts to heat up. We rested for a while after the descent and then headed off to the Inca bridge - a fairly easy walk of 30 - 40 minutes return with only a short uphill section at the beginning. The rest of the day was spent wandering around the ruins eavesdropping on all the guides expanations. We had to return to the entry gate after lunch as there are no toilets or shops within the complex. The cafe in the entry area is run by the nearby 5 star hotel so prices are through the roof ($4 NZ for 300ml of water!!!). By 3pm we were exhaused and returned to Aguas Calientes by bus.

By the time we had had a beer, collected our luggage and had an early dinner it was time to head to the station for our train back to Olly. Within 10 mins of the train leaving virtually everyone was sound asleep.

All in all the trip to MP was well worth it. In the publicity it states that you cannot take walking poles, food or drink into the complex but these rules were not enforced. It would certainly be easier to get around with a walking pole and you need to take a litre of water each as a minimum. One rule that was strictly enforced was no bags over 20L allowed in the complex.



Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



2nd March 2011
5 finger shoes

finger shoes
finger shoesThe typical human foot is an anatomical marvel of evolution with 26 bones, 33 joints, 20 muscles, and hundreds of sensory receptors, tendons and ligaments. finger shoes are like the rest of the body, to keep our feet healthy, they need to be stimulated and exercised.

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0402s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb