Aguas Calientes


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Aguas Calientes
May 12th 2009
Published: May 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

AC faceAC faceAC face

If you look carefully you can see the face of an Inca in the rockface above the town

Aguas Calientes


Decided to write the Machu Picchu section up in two blogs.
The train left Ollantaytambo on time (0530) and despite our misgivings the sun was up sufficiently to allow some good views of the countryside. The trains are in good condition but the tracks are not all that smooth.

As expected prices were higher in Aguas Calientes but not exhorbiently so. We had breakfast and a walk around until the 9am checkout time for the Hostels. Took a room at Hostel John for 50 Soles which was nothing exceptional but was OK for the night (we had left the bulk of our gear back in Olly and had only a small backpack each).

Went and bought our Machu Picchu entry tickets (124 Soles) and our return bus tickets (14 USD) to save time in the morning. Despite reports to the contrary both transactions were very easy and change was available.

As entry to the Machu Picchu Museum was included in the entry price we thought that we would walk the 1.5 Km to the Museum and Botanical Gardens. The walk followed the river and was an interesting and scenic stroll. although the majority of the rocks around the town are granite the road passes through a thick siltstone sequence with the occasional exposed fossil. The granite that was blasted out to lay the rail tracks is now being quarried for local civic works and roadmetal and in one place it appeared as though they are using the old technique of drilling a series of holes in the rock and then filling the holes with water at the end of the day. The water freezes overnight splitting the rocks up.

Having a number (scores!!) of bromeliads at home I was excited to see so many around in the wild. We had already seen a lot of the drier varieties in our earlier stops here in Peru but these were the types that grow in a wetter, lusher environment. Unfortunately only a few are flowering at this time of year, but did get some good photos.

On arrival at the Museum we were informed that we would have to pay 23 Soles to enter so decided to just stroll around the Botanical Gardens instead. Wonderful collection of plants including an extensive array of bromeliads and orchids. On the way back to town we went down to look at the local camping ground and the caretaker pointed out the lower levels of Machu Picchu up on the skyline. Extremely impressive and a taste of what was to come tomorrow. The ruins could also be seen from the road but probably not a good idea to look up if you´re intending to tramp up to the ruins as you´ll probably flag down a bus instead. They are a looong way up!!!

After lunch and a look around the market we went for a swim at the hot springs (10 Soles, togs and towels available for hire). Highly mineralised (think Ngawha springs rather than Rotorua/Taupo) and not overly hot, but enjoyable al the same. We got to talk to a few people who had been to MP that day and got a few handy hints. Left the pools as it began to rain lightly.

Had a tourist menu dinner that night that turned out to be the nicest dinner todate. Entree (avocado), soup, and mains (grilled alpaca) with a Pisco sour to finish the meal - all for 15 Soles. Beer (1.1 litre) was 12 Soles.

Went back to the Hostel for an early night as we would be getting up at 0430 in the morning.

Next Machu Picchu




Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0583s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb