A Brief Delay


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru
September 20th 2005
Published: October 2nd 2005
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Pucallpa to Cusco


Stop For A Second...Stop For A Second...Stop For A Second...

...And they´ll try to sell you something.
The busride back to Lima was relatively smooth. This time, as on the way there, no rifle-carrying military gaurd boarded to tell us there was narcotics activity in the area, and that the bus needed protection. It was eighteen hours back to Lima, had a cup of Nescafe and an egg sandwhich, and boarded another bus to Cusco. Fifteen hours later the bus had to stop. Some local citizens had blocked off the road with concrete and rocks; they were protesting that none of the money from the toll station benefitted the town. Instead it went to fund mining projects by a Chilean company. Citizens argued with police, but there was no violence. After three hours, the road was cleared and we were allowed to pass. I don´t know what the resolution was.

After a night in Cusco, where I got very sick for about 24 hours, Sebastian and I headed to Maccu Picchu. It is possible to travel by train, but we took a colectivo, which is a small bus, usually packed with passengers. It cost $2 for a two hour ride. It is necessary to stop in Ollantaytambo, a small town with magnificent ruins in the background. Cars cannot go any further, so tourists take the train the rest of the way up. There is a coach for Peruvians, costing $3, and separate coaches for foreigners, costing $20. This might seem unfair, but most Peruvians don´t have a lot of money anyway; this allows them to see their own country´s important ruins affordably. The train then stops in Aguas Calientes, named so for its hot springs. The town seems to exist for tourists. Everything costs three times as much as it does anywhere else. And every building is either a restaurant, tour agency, or hotel. That night Sebastian and I parted ways...he wanted to see Maccu Picchu the next day, and I wanted to wait an extra day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

And Finally...And Finally...
And Finally...

...On the road again.


Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0587s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb