To the Top


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Machu Picchu
September 24th 2005
Published: October 2nd 2005
Edit Blog Post

From Aguas Calientes, one takes a bus up to the ruins. It´s best to go early when there are fewer tourists. The ride is 30 minutes and follows a zig-zag path to the top of a steep cliff. There is a hotel and restaurant at the base of the ruins, and from here it is a short walk to beautiful vistas and unbelievable ancient construction work.

At the top of that famous peak behind Maccu Picchu are more ruins, called Huayna Picchu. It´s possible to climb to the top, but when I first looked I thought, "How do you get up there?...With a rope ladder?!" No, there is an extremely steep winding path to the top...And the view is incredible!

I stayed in Aguas Calientes two more nights, and enjoyed my first hot shower in three weeks. From here I rode the train all the way back to Cusco...four hours.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

It Really is SpectacularIt Really is Spectacular
It Really is Spectacular

You can walk anywhere within the ruins that you want...except the places which are being renovated.
Huayna PicchuHuayna Picchu
Huayna Picchu

I made it to the top, but it´s quite a climb. Behind me you can see the winding path up to the ruins, and of course, Maccu Picchu, which looks tiny in the distance.


Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb