Sunny Mancora!


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Tumbes » Tumbes
November 13th 2009
Published: November 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Montañita-Mancora

Approx. 15 hour bus ride from Montañita to Mancora. We changed buses in Guayaquil and Tumbes.

We arrived in Mancora, Peru on the night of the 9th after another long bus ride (approx. 15 hours). Fortunately, crossing the border didn´t turn out to be the nightmare we read about on the internet as we chose to take a direct bus to Tumbes then another short bus to Mancora. Apparently several people have had problems with theft, etc. while crossing that particular border point into Peru so we were happy that it was quick and painless for us.

Mancora is beautiful! It is hot and sunny everyday and the water is clear and blue - much different than Montañita. We are kind of disappointed we didn´t hear about this place sooner as we would have much rather spent the last 2 weeks here in the sunshine. Matt ended up coming with us so Braeden will have a surfing buddy for at least another week.

We had the best day yesterday. First we took a trip into the desert and spent the later part of the afternoon zip-lining. There weren´t as many cables as we were expecting but a couple of them were really long so it was a good time and worth the money. Then we were taken to the hot springs (not quite what we were imagining) and given wine and snacks while relaxing in the pool. A few locals showed up at dark and lit incense and candles, played relaxing music and offered massages for a small fee. I got almost an hour long massage from head to toe under the stars - it was amazing!

So far I think Peru is the cheapest country we have been in. We are staying at the ¨Sombras Beach¨hostel which is clean and nice with private bathroom and TV for only s./20 per person per night (20 Peruvian Soles = approx. $6.5 USD). It is right off the ocean so we are able to hear the waves crashing from our room. The only bad part is the cold water shower which my Canadian body just can´t seem to get used to. Hot water is only found in the expensive hotels further down the beach so while we are here we are just going to have to deal with it.

People are friendly here but it is supposed to be a little more dangerous than some beach towns and tourists are advised to watch their belongings
Mancora, PeruMancora, PeruMancora, Peru

Peruvian ¨moto taxi¨.
and not walk alone at night. Mancora is actually much larger than we expected but tourists generally stick to a small section of the beach/town where all the hostels, internet cafes, restaurants, etc. are located. We should be staying here for at least a week or two which will hopefully be enough time for me to get my tan back!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Mancora, PeruMancora, Peru
Mancora, Peru

Zip-lining.
Mancora, PeruMancora, Peru
Mancora, Peru

Mancora hot spring.


14th November 2009

hiya kids
Hey you 2: Glad to hear you found some sunshine, but like you said even grey overcast is better than any amount of winter. Didn't know #1 son knew how to surf - huh! Good on ya Braeden although it's not a skill you're going to make much use of once you get back home. YUK about the spiders but that's part of travelling isn't it - learning to deal with all sorts of weird stuff, food, spiders, bugs etc. Stupid question, but did you get anywhere near the imaginary line we call the equator? Will you if you haven't yet? Get a picture of yourselves stradling the N and S hemispheres for me if you do OK? Sorry my geography sucks, I should just pay closer attention to the maps accompanying your blogs. Its Edmonton vs Calgary this weekend, winner plays Sask. next weekend then of course Grey Cup on the 29th. Enjoy the sunshine - get that tan whipped into shape eh. Stay safe, love you --- Mom Terri
14th November 2009

looksgreat
Hi you guys. Mancora looks great. so sunny and water so blue. I am jealous as hell. All fine here,no swine flu yet.Weather is pretty nice for Sask. temp around 5 degrees.Xmas is on the way so I'm having a cleaning frenzy. hurt my back so it's slow going. Well keep on having a good time,stay healthy and safe. Hugs and kisses to you both. Love Grandma Flo.
26th November 2009

Hello Terri! So sorry it has taken me forever to respond to your qustion. Yes, we did make it close to the equator, probably the closest when we were in Quito, Equador. We did plan to take the day trip out to where the N and S hemispheres meet as it was less than a 2 hour bus trip, however, we never did make it. After the ´Teleforniqo´ was closed both days we tried to go with no explanation, we got frustrated and decided to get out of the city. Perhaps a little more patience would have proved beneficial :)

Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0617s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb