Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work we go....


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Trujillo
June 15th 2010
Published: June 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

To get out of the jungle we had a final boat, which pulled up at a port with far too many taxi drivers for the passengers. The drivers had a fight, and we ended up being driven by a maniac at 100mph down terrible roads, and being over charged for it. Mustn't grumble though, we were apparently in the old area held by the Peruvian terrorists The Shining Path, and we had no terrorist troubles. Apparently they've moved on.

From there we headed to Lima, where we had hot water and fast food and all the things we'd missed for the last couple of weeks. We didn't really do much, just rested up and maybe hit the town a little bit.

We're here in Trujillo now, on the north coast of Peru, working with SKIP (Supporting Kids In Peru). We have been having a great time here - we've been here a month already - it's a real experience. Sarah teaches maths/spanish to 6-8 year olds, and I've been doing IT, English and football lessons for teenagers. It's a really good place we work for - they pay for kids to go through school, and also help out their families to build businesses, so it's a real community based thing. We work in an area on the edge of the city called El Porvenir, which is quite the eye-opener. The sort of place you never see if you're just visiting a town.

We live in a big shared house with loads of other volunteers from all over (18 at the moment) so it's pretty hectic but fun. There's a few characters about, and for one of their leaving do's we had a ABC party (anything but clothes!!!!). Me and Sarah wore sacks from the nearby market - my first time in a short skirt. Pretty strange.

Luckily for me (but not so much for Sarah) I have an Italian - Matteo - to get excited about the world cup with me, while surrounded by a lot of uninterested Americans. That is they weren't interested til last Saturday, but what can you do. We made a wall chart and got everyone making flags so now we have a wall of world cup - see the pictures below!

Kees and Ryan have headed off to be beach bums for a month or two, and we've been able to see them a couple of times. Ryan heads home at the end of this week, after a year on the road. Tough times.

Blog's finally up to date though, we'll try to be a little bit better over our last month or so! Sarah hasn't taken a camera into her classes yet, but we'll have more pictures on here soon when we do.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Greg's classGreg's class
Greg's class

You can easily see the level of control i have in my classroom...
In the schoolIn the school
In the school

Sarah's class is on the right


Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0612s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb