Time flies


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Trujillo
July 4th 2010
Published: July 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

When we signed up for this teaching we thought 2 months would be ages, but with only 1 week left here it seems like it's flown by. It's quite a strange way to live here - every week friends you've made leave, and new people arrive. Must be pretty tough for the people here for a year or more, but we're still having a great time.

We had a long weekend last week, which was timed nicely with Sarah's birthday, so we headed up the coast a bit to find some warm weather. We chose a place called Colan to go to, and planned to get there for before the England Germany game - 9am here. The less said about that the better. It took a couple of buses, changing at Piura and Paita, the second being a dusty little town of shacks out in a big sand bowl in the desert. We ended up having to watch the football there, not so nice. Luckily Colan was nicer, and we got ourselves a little room with access to a terrace right on the beach. It's winter in Peru, but that far north it was still nice and warm. We had a good chilled weekend away, and Sarah enjoyed her birthday so all was good.

I had a good embarrassing moment one night last week, I guess I should own up to it.....

We went to a rich Peruvian's house for a surprise birthday party for another volunteer, and I had another dog related incident. They had a massive Hooch (out of Turner and Hooch with Tom Hanks) which is kind of a guard dog. As me and Sarah went out into the courtyard, it sniffed Sarah and let her past, and then as I went past it started barking and looking aggressive! I jumped backwards, off a 3ft ledge, kicking a massive plant pot over, smashing it, and then i landed on it! I think I might have cracked ribs.

Moving on, I've put on some pictures from around town, including a photo exhibition done by the kids at SKIP, and some photos looking over the neighborhood we work in. The exhibition was great, and the kids are excited as they best photo wins a trip to Uruguay. Most if not all of them have never left Trujillo, so it's a big prize.

We have one week here, and then about a week to see a couple more places before we come home, so we'll try to squeeze a blog in next week. We'll be seeing you all soon!


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Main street in ColanMain street in Colan
Main street in Colan

Cristal beer was pretty popular
Living in the desertLiving in the desert
Living in the desert

Quite a lot of rubbish everywhere!


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0401s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb