Trujillo, Huanchaco and Chicama- The longest wave in the world


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Trujillo
September 22nd 2008
Published: November 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

After another night bus ride we got to the bus station in Trujillo, the third biggest city in Peru, and we had no idea what we wanted to do. There were some other people in the bus station that we had met while waiting for the bus in Mancora and they seemed to know what they were doing and we joined them in a taxi to the small surf town of Huanchaco, just 20 minutes outside of Trujillo. We checked into this small, cute Swiss owned hostel and had breakfast with the group. Then we all split up and Amanda, Rachel and I explored the town. There wasn't much to the town other than a long strip of sea food restaurants along the beach, some hostels, a behind that extensive slums. Unfortunately it was overcast and a little chilly so we couldn't enjoy the beach so that afternoon we went into the big city of Ttruijillo and explored there. Similarly we didn't find the city too exciting. It was crowded, lots of traffic, dirty and not much to see other than the central square know for its unique architecture. That night we went out to dinner at a sea food restaurant where we couldn’t understand anything on the menu. Ordering sea food that you don’t know what it is probably wasn’t the smartest idea but it all turned out to be good food. After we met the rest of the group at what seemed to be the only bar in town, above the surf shop and some of the guys played guitar and we had a jam session. It turned out to be a great night.
The next morning we had to wake up at 6am and we all crammed in a van that took up two hours north to Chicama where we surfed the longest wave in the world, meaning that the wave rolls in about 2 miles. Fortunately the waves weren’t big that day and they were perfect for beginners. All 10 of us had breakfast, then put on our wetsuits and headed down for the beach. After a little instruction and a stretch we hit the waves. Amanda, Rachel and I shared a board because we didn’t think we would want to surf for four hours. So each of us took a turn and I got up on my knees a couple of times and only got up on my feet for about 2 seconds the whole time. It was really fun though and it makes me want to take lessons at some point. After a long day of driving and surfing we headed back to Huanchaco and hung out at the surf shop bar overlooking the beach and the sun set. That night was our last night there and we decided that it was time to try Cuy (guinea pig- a delicacy in Peru). Amanda’s came out with arms and teeth and we both took a tiny try of it, but couldn’t bear to eat the whole thing. Rachel’s seemed to be the bottom half of Amanda’s with legs and she at the whole thing, even though it wasn’t much meat and it was mainly fat and bones. SICK! After a delicious meal we got back on a bus to our next destination- LIMA!



Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

the beach the beach
the beach

these boats are built out of reeds and they ride them in the surf and use them to surf


Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0636s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb