Floating Islands


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno
November 2nd 2006
Published: November 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post


Hi again all!

So I think we left you in Arequipa! Well we had what can only be described as an very entertaining bus ride to Puno! We saved some money and got the local bus which was grubbier but still fine and we were the only gringos on it. It took 6 hours and for almost all the time we had live infomercials!!! One guy spoke for an hour trying to sell everyone tea bags that seemed to cure every known desease to man but the prize goes to the guy who rambled for 25 minutes to sell Olde English toffees, pricelesss! Also, everytim the bus stopped, be it for petrol, a traffic light, a woman crossing the road, all the locals stamped their feet, banged the window and shouted "VAMOS" angrily! We really thought there might be a riot!

Anyhoo, it got us to Puno in one piece!

People had told us that Puno was a bit of a dump but again we were pleasently surprised! It helped that it was the annual Puno festival with a parade that lasted 7 hours, better than any gay pride parade I´ve seen! Also it was halloween so we bought a big bag of sweets to hand to all the cute little kiddies dressed up, in all a great atmosphere!

The next day we went to the floating islands for a few hours. They are really weird, entire communities live in these islands made from reeds. 30% make their money from tourism but there is still 70% who live a simple life of fishing and trading. There was a party of school children on one island and they queued up to have their photo taken with me, due to my hair I suppose, quite strange!

Anyway we then got a more normal bus to Copacabana (yes try and get the song out of your head now!) and we are going to Isla Del Sol for a night tomorrow. We probably update from La Pax, the capital of Bolivia. Oh yes, we are now in Bolivia!

Bye for now...

Advertisement



3rd November 2006

You guys have certainly found the most interesting places to visit! Places I've never even heard of! I always look forward to the blog and the photos too!
4th November 2006

Lucky you
Hey Amy, sounds like you are having a great time. Just wanted to say hi. take care Bec :-)
7th November 2006

Hey girls, Sounds like you're having a brilliant time, love all the photos, I have lots of similar ones from my trip! Enjoy the Salt lakes, they were definitely a highlight! - well everything in South America was actually! Love Margot xx

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb