Floating islands


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno
October 9th 2006
Published: October 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Floating islandsFloating islandsFloating islands

have to be pinned down in case they float off
I got the night bus to Puno with an American I met on the Lares Trek, we arrived in at 5.30am totally knackered from lack of sleep on the Pony Express(the bus company) we still managed to book a 2 day tour for 8am that morning to go to Lake Titicaca. It was lovely taking a boat and we managed to sleep on there so it was a bit of a lifesaver. We stayed with a local family for one night and it was very interesting.

We ate the food they ate which consisted of potato soup, rice and potatoes and bread - carb overload. But boy did we need it as they forgot to mention when we booked that we had a 2 hr hike to the top of the island to 4100m. It wasnt too bad but i think i have had enough of hiking for a long time. We went to these reed islands that are just dried reed, very light and edible...amazing how much stuff you can do with reeds!

Anyway my nightmare bit was when they strapped me in some tradtional clothing until i couldnt breathe and tried to make me dance. I didnt have enough beer to be able to do too much and it all felt very bizzare! Some Israeli guys on the same boat taught us a great Russian card game on the 3 hrs back to Puno though.

Next stop Copacabana, Bolivia!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Terrell the giantTerrell the giant
Terrell the giant

in the home of a local family
Lake TiticacaLake Titicaca
Lake Titicaca

Peru side
me in traditional dressme in traditional dress
me in traditional dress

looking like a donut...too tight..cant breathe


Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb