time to catch up


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno
September 28th 2006
Published: September 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Internet Cafe. Two hours booked....and counting.
Talk about hectic. Its raining here in Puno at the moment and the narrow (if any) side walks are hard to navigate with all the people scurrying everywhere, so we´re a bit soggy, but we have some time to post some more on the Inca Trail.
What an incredible journey thru the Andes. The place has a rugged majesty that is hard to describe. Photos don´t really do it justice.
Our group of 34 trekkers (a record for the tour company) started at the 82km mark on the railway from Cuzco to Aguas Calientes. We walked a track of varying grades from 2600 metres to Huayllabamba at 3000 m. Most of us thought day one was tough, but day two took us to Dead Womans Pass at 4210m, and then another two hours down hill to camp no. 2 at 3500 m. Day 3 did not reach the dizzying heights of day 2 but was 11 hours on the track, with two high passes this time, including a 2000(yes two thousand) steps down hill section. We´ll never complain about Kangeroo point cliff steps again !!
The icing on the cake was finally reaching Machu Picchu on day four, even though it was shrouded in clouds and drizzling for most of the day. It didn´t come easily though. Just about everyone was awake before the 3:30 am wake up call of Hola Hola, and a slap on the tent. We had to pack our gear and vacate out tents in the dark and rain, and try to grab some breakfast in the food tent before the porters pulled it down. It is worth mentioning that we have eaten very well on this trek, with all the provided meals being three course affairs. Loose weight with all the exercise....I don´t think so!!
Unfortunately when we finally reached the Sun Gate it was more like the Cloud Gate, but the first view of Machu Picchu in the flesh was everything and more than we had hoped to find. We haven´t the time or space here to try to describe it. It was magical, mystical, staggering in scope and execution.... there aren´t words.
After a full day in the ruins we grabbed a bite to eat in Aguas Calientes before boarding the train for Cuzco to repack and be on the bus for Puno at 6:00 am next morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0931s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb