Floating Islands


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno
May 16th 2007
Published: May 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Amazing islands made of pampas grass. The island, houses, seats, souveniers, boats- everything made from reeds. 4 meters deep and they float, quite inspired, but dont sing at me indigenous child. Not in English, not in German, French, Dutch, Japanese- it makes no diffrence, im not giving you any of my money. But then if you insist on stopping the boat in the middle of the lake until we pay up, go on then, í´ll give you 1 sole (15p) to start back paddling!!

Its all very well but a bit contrived as if you look closely behind the front houses you see the ones they really live in with corrugted iron rooves and doors, solar panelling, TV & radio. Not so, original-tribe-living-like-their-ancestors are they, but hey, if i'm allowed to indulge in globalisation why arn't they?

From there the bus is an interesting one. George and I are the only ones stopped at the border and pulled aside into the police station- I see theme occuring here. Seperated and questioned, I am not happy but at least they didnt invent some "tourist tax," like many an "official," does. We then proceed off the bus, at what feels like an ungodly hour, for the bus to drive onto a rickety barge consisting of 5 rather large planks and be punted across the river- punted! I cant believe my eyes glued to our belongings floating precariously across the water.

On the other side-(we got a motor boat) whilst waiting we witness a dog orgy which passes the time and then off, finally, to La Paz.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0606s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb