On our way to Puno


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno » Puno
February 18th 2012
Published: February 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

SilustaniSilustaniSilustani

A burial tower
Early breakfast and the bus loaded by 7.00 am and we were on our way. Bye-bye Cusco!

Long driving day. Back past the most miserable Peruvian town we have come across - Juliaca - it was really depressing both times we passed it. Just huge long roads awash with mud, broken down lorries and cars and unfinished buildings......

A couple of toilet stops along the way and lunch off the road on a grassy area. Brown rolls, cheese, avocado, tomatoes, cucumber and some strange fruits we have never seen before - all bought from the local market by our drivers yesterday.

Stopped at around 4.00 pm at Silustani. A pre-Incan burial area overlooking a large volcanic lake/crater. We had a local guide who told us all about it but not sure that we took much in as it was really, really cold and we wanted to get back into the warm. One of the most memorable points was on the return journey, where two sheep chased one of our group members all the way back to the bus however he tried to evade them. Possibly they thought he had food in his pockets!!

Arrived in Puno an
SilustaniSilustaniSilustani

Llamas everywhere!
hour later - another large town almost indistinguishable from Cusco other than that it is on Lake Titicaca where we are going tomorrow to visit the Reed islands. Hotel small but clean and we walked to the Plaza de Armas to find supper. However, we took a taxi back as thought we might get lost as the roads are a little confusing.

Put our blog up to date and went to bed. We only have one half day left in Peru and move on to Bolivia tomorrow afternoon. (Our blog may be a little more sporadic as we believe internet facilities may not be as frequently found as in Peru!!)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0776s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb