South America Day 34


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno » Puno
February 15th 2009
Published: February 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

15th February

We woke to drizzle and the views over Lake Titicaca had disaperaed for the morning. Today we were planning to move into Peru by crossing the border outside Copacabana. This meant getting the early boat back from Isla Del Sol to Copacabana then a border crossing bus from there. The walk back down the Inca Staircase was treturous, well polished stones from 1000's of shoes combined with the rain made it hard going but we made it to the boat in one piece. Again the boat journey was slow, the baot was crammed with people and rucksacks, all in all a pretty uncomfortable ride - but a means to an end all the same.

On arriving in Copacabana we booked a bus for Puno on the Peruvian shore of Lake Titicaca which would stop for border crossing on the way. This time we chose a propper coach with enough leg room for the 4 hour trip as on the last trip from La Paz to Copacabana I couldn't even fit my feet into the gap!

There were no problems crossing the border and we arrived in Puno in the early evening, finding a cheep, clean hostel in the middle of town. Puno's main attraction is its inhabited floating islands on lake Titicaca so we booked a tour for the following day.

Puno is quite a nice town, the main square being 1km from the water with churches and markets and a car free main street. Dinner was in a smoky pizzeria (smoke coming from the pizza oven) ready for another early start.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0321s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb