Lago Titicaca


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno » Lake Titicaca
August 15th 2008
Published: August 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Uros People Singing 48 secs
We took a very cold evening bus from Arequipa to Puno, Lake Titicaca and arrived late at night. At the bus terminal we were met by a strange man who introduced himself as Señor Miguel and persuaded us to let him find us a hotel. We reluctantly agreed as it was late and we were cold. This was a good decision as Señor Miguel, although a bit over anxious, turned out to be very reliable and sorted us out with all kinds of stuff including accommodation in Cusco. He insisted on calling Kiki Señorita Cristina to our amusement.
We spent a couple of days in Puno and did two excursions. First we went to check out Sillustani and its funerary Chullpas from the ancient Colla people... It was nice, but Monia and Kiki were more interested in the little baby Vicuña than anything else. So sweet, so cute. Her name was Milagros and she was 4 months old!
We also took a daytrip on the highest navigable lake in the world and saw the floating islands of the colourful Uros people and another island called Taquile where we had lunch. The floating islands were really something unique. The Uros people have
Vicuña Vicuña Vicuña

She was apparently 4 months old and was called Milagros.
been building these islands for centuries using Totora reeds that grow in the lake. Each island lasts for about 25 years, then they have to build a new one. It all started because they were trying to isolate themselves from the Collas and the Incas. Several hundred people still live on floating islands today. There are touristic islands like the ones we were allowed to visit, but also non touristic ones where people continue to live as they have done for centuries. It felt funny to walk around on the reeds and it was a really enjoyable experience. We were especially entertained by the little song the islanders half heartedly sang to us all as we were leaving. See the video...



Additional photos below
Photos: 98, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 13; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb