Colca Colca Colca


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa » Colca Canyon
August 12th 2008
Published: August 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Kids dancing at 6 am. 28 secs
The Colca Canyon is located about 160 km northwest of Arequipa and it's the second deepest canyon in the world, more than twice as deep as the Grand Canyon!! We took a two day tour to explore. The bus took us through the altiplano passing the highest point of 4800m before descending down into Chivay, the largest town around the canyon where we spent the night and also visited the local hot springs. It was so cold at night and there was no heating in our hotel! We saw several locals walking around just wearing sandals on their bare feet and could not get over how this was possible!! And they didn't even seem to feel cold!
In the evening saw a Peruvian dance show which was interesting, but we left early as they started pulling the gringo tourists up to dance.
The next morning we visited a couple of small villages on the way to the Cruz del Condor where we saw lots of Andean Condors flying past. They were HUGE! The Colca Canyon was beautiful. We will let the pictures speak for themselves.


Additional photos below
Photos: 149, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

On the way to the Colca Canyon...On the way to the Colca Canyon...
On the way to the Colca Canyon...

As we were getting higher in altitude we stopped on the way for a Mate de Coca.


Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0558s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb