PUNO - LAKE TITICACA - PERU


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno » Lake Titicaca
November 10th 2007
Published: November 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We are in Peru....
After crossing the border, we get to Puno, still on the Lake Titicaca. Baring in mind that the lake sits at 3810m above sea level and in some places is about 200km long and 70km wide. So there´s a lot of water.
The program here is to visit the floating islandsor The Uros Islands. The Uros people continuously build or maintain islands from reed. Boats are also built from reed. It´s an amazing scenery. Look for yourselves. Also on the program is Taquile island.

First stop though, The Uros Islands. 41 entirely manmade floating islands and houses. We visited two. The Islanders still live using methods going back to Pre-Inca times. Much of the Uros' diet and medicine also revolve around these reeds. When a reed is pulled, the white bottom is often eaten for iodine. They fish using, again, reed boats and sell their fish in the mainland in Puno. But The Uros are well up to date with technology: During our visit, one of the guys suddenly had his mobile phone ringing with a recent ringtone. Spoiled the illusion we had! They have solar panels to power their TV, radio etc... But that´s about it. Their life is really basic.

Next, we were off to Taquile Island. Again, life and living methods date back to hundreds of years ago. Taquileños run their society based on community collectivism and on the Inca moral code "ama sua, ama llulla, ama qhella" (do not steal, do not lie, do not be lazy)
It is a unique island as their crafts consist of weaving and knitting. It´s the only place in the world where only men knit. The women don´t, they weave instead. It´s textile art has been recognised by Unesco as part of world heritage. Also,You easily recognise their marital status according to their clothes and hats. The ones with red and white hats are single. The ones with red hats are married. They performed several rituals and dances for us which were brilliant..
That´s it for Taquile and Uros. This trip to the Lake Titicaca region has been very spiritual and informative. Sorry guys for not telling any new crazy adventures!
We are going back to Puno. Tomorrow, we are heading to Arequipa and Colca Canyon for a few days...
Hasta luego


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Taquile PeopleTaquile People
Taquile People

performing an ancient dance
Girls on boatGirls on boat
Girls on boat

believe it or not, they were singing Frere Jacques for us


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0614s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb