AREQUIPA - COLCA CANYON


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa » Colca Canyon
November 18th 2007
Published: November 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hola!!!
We are in Arequipa... "The White City" as it is nicknamed. One, because most of all buildings were made out of white rock. Two, because it is a very clean city ( as our guide told us ). The second most important city in Peru, it lies in the highlands at the foot of the snow-capped volcano El Misti. Just to give you an idea, Arequipa is surrounded by about 80 volcanoes. Also, our hostel, as well as many other buildings like restaurants, hotels, shops, shopping arcades... have large stickers on their inside walls saying " Zona segurisada en riesgo de seismo" meaning : Safe area in case of earthquakes. Very reassuring!
The fact is, historically, when the Incas settled in this area, some 500 years ago, they didn´t know about it!
But the city still lives on. In a dangerous area.
The city is very well renowned for its cuisine. Arequipeña food is very tasty. On the menu, you will find "Recotto Relleno". A dish consisting of spicy stuffed peppers with mince meat and vegetables, and potato, egg and salad garnish. Very nice. Other dish, a bit contreversial but well worth it is the "Cuy Chactado". In a few words, "Roasted Guinea Pig". Yes, the little thing that spins around the wheel in its little cage while you tease it with your fingers. When it appears on your plate, totally crispy, you kindda feel guilty but also looking forward to it. Strange. But you´ve got to do it! It´s a delicassy around here, and it is very tasty. Sorrrrryyyyy!!!! When in Rome.........

We are here to visit Colca canyon, a chain of mountains and valleys, and the majestic condors. Our trip consists of spending 3 days, 2 nights in the Colca Valley, starting in the village of Cabanaconde, get down the valley, sleep in a remote village, go to the natural pools and climb up back to Cabanaconde. Our little group consists of Pierre and his partner Cecile ( both French ), Pascale ( Dutch ) and us. It proved to be a nice number and group as although being from a different background, we clicked really well.
After a 3 hours walk the first day, 6 hours the second day ( with a break by the swimming pool ), we experienced one of the most amazing landscapes in Peru. Total contact with nature, peaceful valleys, steep climbs
Cuy ChactadoCuy ChactadoCuy Chactado

a delicassy!!!!
( but worth it ) and unspoilt territory. Great! You get an amazing feeling of satisfaction when you get to the top after achieving the climb ( after many doubts ). Nothing like it! We end up in the village, relax, enjoy the music played by Renata and the local guys ( and kids ), have a few drinks. It´s magic!
The following day, we get up early, have breakfast, and head to the top of Colca Canyon to see the Condors! They are an amazing sight. We had seen them before in Argentina, but nothing like this. They are very aware of your presence and given the right conditions, such as the warm weather, they put on a show for you. We had the best seats. Right by the edge of the cliff, they whizz past you with an elegance and no effort. It´s quite a sight! The camera is just clicking away. Not enough pictures!
Unfortunately, it´s time to go, we could stay here all day and observe behaviour patterns. We don´t have such privilege. We have to head back to Arequipa to catch our night bus for Cuzco.
The amazing Machu Picchu is excpecting us. We don´t want to make it wait.... It´s long overdue.
Will tell you all about it.
Bye!




Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Our groupOur group
Our group

Cecile, Pierre, Pascale, Renata, Nabil
Renata Renata
Renata

1st day


18th November 2007

the Peru I missed!
Shame I couldn't have stayed longer [exactly 1 year ago] and seen some of this. I just saw Lima. Maybe next time. Thanks guys. Alan
19th November 2007

Member!
Hai there! nice that i'm a member know. Stealed some of your pictures..... Great! Had a nice time there with you! love!

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 14; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0704s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb