Lake Titicaca


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno » Lake Titicaca
August 13th 2007
Published: November 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Arriving at Isla FlotantesArriving at Isla FlotantesArriving at Isla Flotantes

Being greeted by the locals
The trip to Lake Titicaca was one that I really enjoyed. People that I had met along the way said that it was really touristy, but when I went it was just our tour group on a floating island of reeds! The islands go down for about 2 or 3 metres, but floats on a part of the lake approximately 20m deep - you really want to watch where you step here!

On one of the other islands there was a tourist lodge, a minimart and even a phone booth where you could make local and International phonecalls! There is also a primary school, while older kids end up leaving for Puno or other cities for their higher education... Ok sure this is not the greatest outcome, but the fact is this is the only way the locals can make a living - from tourism. Some sources say they moved out from the mainland to escape conflict from the Inkas, our guide said it is possible that they didn't want to work for them. Our guide was excellent, a wealth of information and a bundle of energy.

Next stop was Isla Amantani, where we stayed the night. It was like time forgot to pass through... simply magic.... (I imagined this is what a remote mediterannean island would be like). Everything was tiny, the streets, the houses, the doorways (ouch). We were put up with a local family and then went on a hike to the Pachatata (Father Earth) pre-Inka ruins. So beautiful.... We went all the way up to the Temple of the Sun where rituals were held. There was certainly an air of spirituality about the place - real or induced I am not sure! But we watched the sun set over Lake Titicaca, amazed that what looked like an ocean was actually only the Peruvian side of the lake! Crazy...

Later that night we got dressed in traditional costumes for a night of dancing!



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Pachatata (Father Earth)Pachatata (Father Earth)
Pachatata (Father Earth)

Walking up towards the Temple of the Sun at 4200m above sea level
PachatataPachatata
Pachatata

Despite the dozens of people tramping through, this place had a quiet, spiritual air about it. In the olden days, Pachatata and Pachamama (Mother Earth) were used as places for ceremonial offerings
With the rest of our tour groupWith the rest of our tour group
With the rest of our tour group

Love the skirt and hiking boots look...!
ArtesaniaArtesania
Artesania

This is mainly how the locals survive, by creating handicrafts and weavings
ONLY the men are allowed to knitONLY the men are allowed to knit
ONLY the men are allowed to knit

The women weave and dye the wool


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb