Lake Titicaca


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno » Lake Titicaca » Uros Island
April 3rd 2007
Published: April 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our first stop was Sillustani, where many funerary tower, or chullpas, stand. These were constructed by the Colla people, who later became the southeastern arm of the Incas.

The closest chullpa to the parking lot has a carving of a lizard, symboling rebirth as lizards regrow their tails. Our guide was very thorough, so much so I tuned him out after a while. The most amazing part of this place is the adjacent lake, Lake Umayo. An island with a flat top sits in the middle, some said a previous alien craft landing site. As we were the only ones there, we were able to enjoy the serenity and beauty of the lake.

Next we went to the Uros floating islands in Lake Titicaca. As the islanders' main diet lacks fruit, we bought some for them on the mainland. The bay by Puno is covered by carpet of green algae from pollution. Apparently the situation is somewhat under control? The floating islands are entirely made out of buoyant totora reeds, and because it rots so quickly, especially in the rainy season, new totora reeds have to be added frequently on top as they rot on from the bottom.
the lizardthe lizardthe lizard

symboling rebirth
The base eventually rots away too, and each island has a lifespan of about 10-15 years. Some of their traditional boats are also made of totora reeds, and they only last about 6 months. The reeds are also edible too. I tasted it, it was very bland. The island we visited had 7 families. If there were any arguments beyond resolution, families may choose to break off their own portion of the island and float away, literally. Of course, new families can attach theirs to existing floating islands. There are still a few 'authentic' floating islands further away from the mainland, but it was said that eventually all of the Uros people would eventually disappear.

In order to make it to Chucuito in time, we all had roast chicken at this restaurant, which was their specialty. For 7 soles, this was some of the best roast chicken I've ever tasted. The soup was great too, with miscellaneous chicken parts, including chicken feet and what looks like neck.

We finally made it to the temple of fertility in Chucuito at around 1600hr. Our local guide said it was initially an astronomical observatory and the palluses were moved in later.
lake Umayolake Umayolake Umayo

alien landing pad
Women who have trouble conceiving still come here to pray and rub/sit atop the stony joysticks to increase their fertility. We took some 'interesting' photos which our local guide seemed to find a bit disturbing, at least from his facial expression. Can you imagine the potency of this temple, Para Para and Kari Kari?!??!

The town church unfortunately closed right when we got there and the caretaker wouldn't open the door for us. I don't think I would miss another colonial church. Some of us bought fresh prickly pears for 20c each. The boy selling them would cut them on the spot and it was very sweet and juicy! These sell for about $3 each in Canada.

Just a bit south of the plaza were stone arches where there was a great view of Lake Titicaca.

Because we had a late lunch most people weren't hungry so we went to a dessert place. I had a chicken sandwich; I went to bed early so I wouldn't get hungry.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Lake TiticacaLake Titicaca
Lake Titicaca

lovely green algae
Lake Titicaca -2Lake Titicaca -2
Lake Titicaca -2

seen from Chucuito mirador
Fertility TempleFertility Temple
Fertility Temple

self explanatory
Fertility Temple -2Fertility Temple -2
Fertility Temple -2

so many of them, more graphic photos not included, unless you want to see them :-)


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0258s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb